Pre-Filter Sponges Affecting Filtration

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently converted my 10 gallon into a shrimp tank. It has been fully cycled for about 3-4 months. I read that it's a good idea to have a prefilter sponge to prevent shrimp from getting sucked in. I found a deal on Amazon that was 3 sponges for 4 bucks so i ordered them and realized the sponge didn't perfectly fit the intake. After maneuvering and twisting I managed to get the sponge to fit snugly on the intake. After 2-3 days a problem arose, I could visibly see the middle part of the sponge was narrower and being constricted. The water flow coming out of my filter was severely restricted. I wanted to give it another day and see what happens. When I woke up the filter had quit taking in water and the sponge was completely sucked in on itself. Are there any suggestions on how to prevent this? Would somehow making the sponge wider help? As of now, I remove the prefilter sponge every 2-3 days, wash it and put it back in and it's fine for another 2-3 days in which I repeat the process again. Before trying a new type of sponge I'm interesting in some possible solutions to try. My filter is the smallest model of the Aqueon QuietFlow. 

Thanks for reading, CJ

I just cut a piece of filter sponge, chop a slot down the middle and pull it onto the intake. It's not fancy, but it does the job and doesn't reduce filter flow.

Subbed! I have the answer/resolution. I will tell you tomorrow.

All sponges are not equal. Think porosity-

porous
adjective:
(of a rock or other material) having minute spaces or holes through which liquid or air may pass.
synonyms: permeable, penetrable, pervious, cellular, holey;

The smaller the holes/spaces, the more area it creates. So think of any sponge as potentially ranging from very coarse, i.e. with fewer but larger holes/space to very fine, i.e. having many many very small holes/spaces. Depending on how we need to use a sponge in regards to filtration determines which type we may want.

If the primary use for the sponge is to host bacteria, then fine pores will provide the mot surface area for the bacteria to colonize. But there is a downside to a fine pored sponge. The water passing through can contain solid wastes and these can become more easily trapped in the fine pores which blocks the flow. And blocking the flow means the bacteria do not get what they need. So it becomes important when using a fine pored sponge to work to have the cleanest water entering it in order to reduce clogging. The bigger any piece of solid waste might be, the easier it will cause clogs. So one should try to filter out solids before the water reaches the sponge.

A coarse sponge would be ideal for this. because it has fewer but larger holes.spaces, it can trap wastes and maintain its ability to pass water though for some. This design is ideal for trapping wastes and the sponge is intended to fill up and then be rinsed. If iy is not rinse it too will clog.

Now consider using a sponge as a pre-filter. Its job is ti catch the solid wastes before they enter the filter. But if you use a finer pored sponge for this it will clog pretty quickly. This is a big problem for two reasons. First, as you have discovered, a clogged pre-filter stops flow on the intake side. This is one of the worst things one can have happen is for intakes to become clogged. This can cause damage to the motor and is why when we need to restrict the flow we do it on the output side not the intake.

The upshot of all this is that two things become important when using pre-filters. The first is to select a coarser type sponge to use, one that wont clog as fast. However, no sponge doesn't clog, so the second thing is that it is essential to rinse them out weekly, before they start to restrict intake flow in a bad way. What you experienced was having your intake sponge be to fine so that it clogs to full blockage easily. Your solution is the find a coarser pored sponge to go over your intake.

Since I have about 30 odd filters with intake sponges as pre-filters, I can suggest the following.

ATI makes a line of very nice and very versatile pre-filter kits which come with a variety of adapters which allow it to fit on many filter intakes. I uses these on canisters and with power heads. You can see the 3 different size models here. (I use the #3). http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-pond-pre-filters.html

AquaClear filter sponges also work. However it matters which one you use. AquaClear filterr range from 100 to 500 gph. The sponges that fit them become more and more coarse as you go up in model in terms of flow rate. I suggest the foam for the 300 (model 70) or the most coarse from the 500 (model 110) make excellent prefilters and can be cut and shaped to size.

I tend to cut a rectangle and then use a scissors to cut down the middle of one end most, but not all the way, through. I then rotate the scissors 90 degrees and cut down again. (Cut an X into the sponge.) This allows one to push an intake tube into the "hole." Once the sponge is on the intake you can trim it to shape. Below is a picture of the result in one of my tanks.

i-s8Vf4Kf-S.jpg

There are a few options for this, one is as TTA says fitting a coarse sponge tends to work well. they come in all shape and sizes and with holes for intake nozzles etc.

Or you can fit mesh netting over the filter intake nozzle and tie on with fishing line -

FilterNetMesh.jpg

Or you can order one of these online or from your LFS 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCrystal+Cherry+Filter+Guard&_nkw=Crystal+Cherry+Filter+Guard&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have not tried the above and assume they can be available in all sorts of sizes for filters.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TwoTankAmin said:
All sponges are not equal. Think porosity-

porous
adjective:
(of a rock or other material) having minute spaces or holes through which liquid or air may pass.
synonyms: permeable, penetrable, pervious, cellular, holey;

The smaller the holes/spaces, the more area it creates. So think of any sponge as potentially ranging from very coarse, i.e. with fewer but larger holes/space to very fine, i.e. having many many very small holes/spaces. Depending on how we need to use a sponge in regards to filtration determines which type we may want.

If the primary use for the sponge is to host bacteria, then fine pores will provide the mot surface area for the bacteria to colonize. But there is a downside to a fine pored sponge. The water passing through can contain solid wastes and these can become more easily trapped in the fine pores which blocks the flow. And blocking the flow means the bacteria do not get what they need. So it becomes important when using a fine pored sponge to work to have the cleanest water entering it in order to reduce clogging. The bigger any piece of solid waste might be, the easier it will cause clogs. So one should try to filter out solids before the water reaches the sponge.

A coarse sponge would be ideal for this. because it has fewer but larger holes.spaces, it can trap wastes and maintain its ability to pass water though for some. This design is ideal for trapping wastes and the sponge is intended to fill up and then be rinsed. If iy is not rinse it too will clog.

Now consider using a sponge as a pre-filter. Its job is ti catch the solid wastes before they enter the filter. But if you use a finer pored sponge for this it will clog pretty quickly. This is a big problem for two reasons. First, as you have discovered, a clogged pre-filter stops flow on the intake side. This is one of the worst things one can have happen is for intakes to become clogged. This can cause damage to the motor and is why when we need to restrict the flow we do it on the output side not the intake.

The upshot of all this is that two things become important when using pre-filters. The first is to select a coarser type sponge to use, one that wont clog as fast. However, no sponge doesn't clog, so the second thing is that it is essential to rinse them out weekly, before they start to restrict intake flow in a bad way. What you experienced was having your intake sponge be to fine so that it clogs to full blockage easily. Your solution is the find a coarser pored sponge to go over your intake.

Since I have about 30 odd filters with intake sponges as pre-filters, I can suggest the following.

ATI makes a line of very nice and very versatile pre-filter kits which come with a variety of adapters which allow it to fit on many filter intakes. I uses these on canisters and with power heads. You can see the 3 different size models here. (I use the #3). http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-pond-pre-filters.html

AquaClear filter sponges also work. However it matters which one you use. AquaClear filterr range from 100 to 500 gph. The sponges that fit them become more and more coarse as you go up in model in terms of flow rate. I suggest the foam for the 300 (model 70) or the most coarse from the 500 (model 110) make excellent prefilters and can be cut and shaped to size.

I tend to cut a rectangle and then use a scissors to cut down the middle of one end most, but not all the way, through. I then rotate the scissors 90 degrees and cut down again. (Cut an X into the sponge.) This allows one to push an intake tube into the "hole." Once the sponge is on the intake you can trim it to shape. Below is a picture of the result in one of my tanks.

i-s8Vf4Kf-S.jpg
Based on what you just said I can see why I've had problems. My sponge is extremely fine, I'll make do for a few days before going out to the store to get a coarser sponge.
Ch4rlie said:
There are a few options for this, one is as TTA says fitting a coarse sponge tends to work well. they come in all shape and sizes and with holes for intake nozzles etc.

Or you can fit mesh netting over the filter intake nozzle and tie on with fishing line -

attachicon.gif
FilterNetMesh.jpg

Or you can order one of these online or from your LFS 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCrystal+Cherry+Filter+Guard&_nkw=Crystal+Cherry+Filter+Guard&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have not tried the above and assume they can be available in all sorts of sizes for filters.

after doing some looking around, I kind of like the mesh. I'll have to see if my local store carries that as well

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The mesh netting I used in the pic is from a cheap kids fishing net ;)

I had RCS in that tank at the time, did not have any problems with it.

Coarse sponge or netting, in that order, are my personal preferences of covering filter intake nozzles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back