Powerheads

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Seio are a bigger less quality copy of the Tunze Stream (not the nano stream). This graph (from my earlier link) shows the GPH per watt of Tunze vs Seio:

powerh3.gif

The link I posted refers to US prices for Tunze and US prices for electricity and gives a figure of 4.25 years at $0.0669/kWh when comparing the Seio 1500 with the Tunze 6060. The more you pay for power the quicker you make up the difference. Can't find a bill of mine, but as far as I can see from Google we pay around 7-12p per kWh

If you avoid looking at the bottom end of the manufacturers you will see the wattage differences. A fine example is the Tunze 6300. 30,000LPH for 72W. Getting 30,000 LPH from Seio would cost a lot more. This is an extreme example, but it shows the technical ability of Tunze.

Last thing to remember is the length they will work. I have a pair of Tunze powerheads so old that they still have made in WEST Germany on them, making them a minimum of 17 years old and they still work fine. Remembering that the company that makes Seio (Rio) is renowned for making shoddy pumps that don't only stop working but also become electrical shock risks, I know where I would invest my money.

Do a search through some marine forums for Rio powerheads and see how happy most of the purchasers are. Better still read a professional's opinion.

It is not an argument between BMW and Mercedes by any means. Seio have nowhere near the reputation of Tunze. The Tunze nano streams are the first stream (and possibly Turbelle) powerheads to be released that are not hand made. It is more an argument between Rolls Royce and Lexus owners.

Finally, regarding the best type of wave movement, try this article.

It is not an argument between BMW and Mercedes by any means. Seio have nowhere near the reputation of Tunze. The Tunze nano streams are the first stream (and possibly Turbelle) powerheads to be released that are not hand made. It is more an argument between Rolls Royce and Lexus owners.

I've got cheap and cheerful powerheads I've had for donkeys years, even then they were bought second hand and they still run fine. They are not a complex piece of machinary.

Comparing even Rollers with Lexus gets you where your going in pretty good style - hopefully Ranger has all the information he wants now. Do people 'need' a Roller?

Still not convinced it would be worth doubling the outlay, but don't doubt Tunze are the quality item.

I got the electricity prices from here UK electricity prices

Just noticed that the prices refer to 'first band' (which I quoted) then a lower rate for subsequent consumption, which would lengthen the payback period, but in any event no big deal in the bigger picture.

Don't doubt you get what you pay for but if the Seio pumps last as long as my cheapies, then ther'll do me fine.

thanks for the help but if i turn off the bubbles the only surface agatation to put oxygen in the water would be from the filter and its just a basic power filter would that be enough?

thanks for the help but if i turn off the bubbles the only surface agatation to put oxygen in the water would be from the filter and its just a basic power filter would that be enough?

I would have thought so, but if you want more agitation just angle a powerhead upwards a little so it aims more towards the surface.

Most reactions

Back