Powerheads

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

enjoiskater158

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have recently heard it is bad to use the bubbler thing on the powerhead because the bubbles can kill corals and other organisms is this true?

i have recently heard it is bad to use the bubbler thing on the powerhead because the bubbles can kill corals and other organisms is this true?

Yes it will irritate your fishes gills. Also corals won't tolerate micro bubbles, it isnt even necssary in a SW tank. The bubbles also collect harmful gases :crazy: So I would stay away from the bubbler option.

I don't even get why they have that option on powerheads...

Its for freshwater guys who want gas exchange but dont want to hear hte loud noise of an airstone. Lame. It is very true that air bubbles can build up in soft tissues of corals and soft inverts and cause embolisms leading to anything from mild irritation to death.

The best powerheads are Tunze. Seio are good and provide a lot of movement for their price, but they cost around twice as much per LPH than Tunze, so the Tunze will become cheaper than the Seio if you keep them for 3 years or more.

There is a great comparison page about powerheads over at Bob Fenner's excellent WetWebMedia site.

The most ideal form of movement is that of waves where the water in the tank is shifted from one side to the other to truly simulate waves breaking across the reef (unless you do a lagoon or magrove swamp themed tank). For this the best item is the Tunze Wavemaker.

Bubbles on powerheads is just a bit of a gimmick really. The bubbles produced are not in the water long enough to facilitate any meaningful gas exchange and the bubbles hitting the surface is not as effective surface agitation as a powerheads pointed at the surface.

Proof of this can be found with planted CO2 injected FW tanks. If you pipe loads of CO2 in through an airstone then the tank will have a lower CO2 level as the CO2 in the water is gassed off.

The best powerheads are Tunze. Seio are good and provide a lot of movement for their price, but they cost around twice as much per LPH than Tunze, so the Tunze will become cheaper than the Seio if you keep them for 3 years or more.

I think I've missed something then Andy...

I bought two Seio 620s for around at £23 each. These are rated at 2400 lph each.

Seio

Comparable (?) Tunze's are Turbelle 600/2 for at £40 each, providing 630 lph

Tunze

Which Tunze's should I have been comparing?

The equivalent are the Tunze nanostream 6025, 2500 l/ph. But they are £40. They are very small and quiet though. I'd highly recommend them.

I think I've missed something then Andy...

I bought two Seio 620s for around at �23 each. These are rated at 2400 lph each.

Seio

Comparable (?) Tunze's are Turbelle 600/2 for at �40 each, providing 630 lph

Tunze

Which Tunze's should I have been comparing?

he means they cost more in electric to run - you start making your money back after 3 years. You need to factor in the watts each powerhead will use.

:)

dave.

The Tunze nanostream 6025 only uses 7w ;)

yeah the tunze is 2500lph for 7w and the seio is 2400lph for 8w

andy is saying if you factor in electricity costs then the tunze is cheaper over the life of the powerhead.

dave.

The Tunze nanostream 6025 only uses 7w ;)

yeah the tunze is 2500lph for 7w and the seio is 2400lph for 8w

andy is saying if you factor in electricity costs then the tunze is cheaper over the life of the powerhead.

dave.

Well if we're talking about a 1w difference then the payback period is going to be a whole lot longer than 3 years! The question of 'better' is clearly getting too subjective to pin down. For me, I'd take the immediate 50% up front cost saving and be done with it.

If only I could get my kids to turn their lights out...

In any event this looks like being an argument between BMW and Mercedes owners! Either does the job very well.

Andy's comments on the 'wave' function are interesting - could sway the decision?

(BMW ever time, by the way!)

Ranger, since you're with me on the other side of the pond, I'd go with a Seio because Tunze's can be astronomically expensive here :/. The cost difference is $100-200 (depending on sizes) which will take a lot longer than 3 years to re-coup even at california energy prices :lol:. Just curious, how much do you guys pay per KWH?

Ranger, since you're with me on the other side of the pond, I'd go with a Seio because Tunze's can be astronomically expensive here :/. The cost difference is $100-200 (depending on sizes) which will take a lot longer than 3 years to re-coup even at california energy prices :lol:. Just curious, how much do you guys pay per KWH?

In the UK electricity is typically 15-17 pence per KWH (29 - 33 cents).

How does Calif compare?

Most reactions

Back