Potential Fish To Avoid For Newcomers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would add the following fish to the list that beginners should avoid. They are all major tank busters and are usually sold as small, cute litte fish.

1. Pacu
2. Silver Shark or Bala Shark
3. Clown Loaches

I bought 6 neon tetras about 5 months ago, one died right off. Then in Feb I bought a new tank and used Cycle to begin the beneficial bacteria. My other 5 tetras are healthy as can be, I absolutely love tetras. I think I want to stick to only Tetras, and I am a beginner- thats how much I love them! I also have 5 black skirt tetras, they are so fun to watch!

So I have an algea eater but I have no idea what type he is, I definitely dont want him eating my other fish when he grows up- any advice on finding out what he is?

Pets at Home sold me two Pakistani Loaches years ago. Aparantly a friendly fish for the community tank. Some of my fish began losing eyes and fins. I phoned a repatable store in Middlesbrough to ask the cause. He had me list my fish. He stoped me when I said loach. I'll never buy a loach again. I got rid of them and my problems went away.

I'm not so much bad mouthing loaches. Its the store people who give bad advice. Be wary of retail monsters. They dont care about your stock. Read up on what you desire and ask from experienced keepers

No one likes to finger a particular fish. What is easy to keep in one person's tank may wreak havoc in the life of another person's. If you are just starting out, the fish listed below may not be good first choices for many reasons.

Iridescent Sharks, Pangasius hypophthalmus

They look great in the tank at the lfs. Small, shiny, great swimmers. They don't stay that way. They can grow to almost 3 feet. They are excitable and can smash against the aquarium wall at high speeds and injure themselves. During water changes they can exit your tank like a rocket. They also become nocturnal.

Bala Sharks, Balantiocheilus melanopterus

Another teeny tiny fish that grows HUGE.

Plecos, Hypostomus sp.

Everyone needs an algae eater, right? Plecos can again outgrow most tanks.

Chinese Algae Eaters

These are the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde's of fishkeeping. These little fellows start out small and eating algae. They grow large and then develop an appetite for your tank inhabitants. Algae eating fish are frequently mislabelled at your lfs. Be careful.

Knifefishes

Grow huge and if your favorite fish becomes smaller in size than their mouth, they get pursued quietly from behind and then sucked in.

Goldfish

Very familiar to many of us at fairs and as kids. Goldfish tend to be 'dirty', ie, carry parasites and nasty bacteria. They also don't belong in tropical tanks as they are coldwater fish.

Piranhas

Grow huge. Need space. Should be in schools. Feed them well or they get hungry. Many end up getting ill from being fed 'feeder' fish for owners who keep them to watch their eating habits.

Painted Glassfish, Pseudambassis ranga or Chanda ranga

Now, how did nature get these guys do have a fluorescent stripe on their back? Well, nature didn't. They were cruelly injected with dye. These poor fish have a higher likelihood of getting sick. If you feel sorry for them, complain to the lfs who bought them. If you decide to give them a home, they will benefit from some aquarium salt in the tank.

Many othered dyed fish

If you think that many fish come in sorts of fruit colors, think again. Strawberried, raspberried, blueberries. NOT!!! Injected. Victims frequently include white skirt tetras, some botias. Ask first before buying.

Elephant nose, Gnathonemus petersii

High maintenance for beginners. Nocturnal and usually needs to be fed at night. Needs a larger tank, meaty foods, can be aggressive.

Red-tailed catfish, Phractocephalus hemioliopterus

Grows HUGE. Do you have an 8 foot tank?

Various other cats

Catfish eat fish.....aquarium fish. They grow large even tho' they are small at the lfs. One common species is the Pictus cat. Others are the channel cat and the shovelnose cat.

Baby Whale, Petrocephalus bovei

Similar to the elephant nose. May prefer live foods.

Various Eels of the Spiny Nature, Mastacembelus

Tire track eels, Zig Zag Yellowtail Eel, Fire Eel, eg. All nocturnal predators, grow large and require large tanks.

Fishes of a delicate nature

Listed below are a few fish that are very easy to obtain at the lfs but, for many reasons, just aren't that easy to keep. Although not in the category of growing large or being aggressive, they CAN be problematic for some and might be better choices after you have some experience under your belt. A few to give thought about before purchasing include:
  • hatchetfish-can be prone to ich; they can and DO jump out of the tank when startled. Need to be in groups to reduce stress.
  • glass cats-need to be in groups; like to have some current; can die for no apparent reason
  • otos (otocinclus)-have been known to die soon after acclimation without any evidence of disease; theories include loss of the ability to digest food during transport
  • pencilfish-sensitive to water conditions
Brackish Fish

Brackish fish have different requirements than regular FW fish in that they need salt in their environment. Brackish areas are those near the sea or where freshwater approaches the ocean. Setting up these tanks requires some research and preparation and, perhaps, is best left for when you have a few more miles underneath your belt. Some brackish fish include:
  • scats
  • monos
  • various puffers
  • archers
  • Mollies; Poecilia sphenops, Poecilia latipinna, and Poecilia velifera (Though often a mix of two or more)

Mollies are often regarded as a Beginner Fish, seeing as they are Livebearers, which are considered some of the easiest fish to breed and keep. Mollies are pretty easy, as fish go, however they aren't as easy as say...your common Platy. Mollies need to be kept in either some salt, or if kept in freshwater, hard and alkaline water. If you have soft, acidic water you can still keep Mollies, however you will want to add salt. Without salt or hard, alkaline water, they are much more prone to disease, especially "shimmies". Some Mollies are raised in total freshwater, and can live in softer, acidic water, however it's not going to be healthiest or best for them.

Also, most Mollies get fairly large, and with Sailfins especially, the males can be aggressive. They need a larger tank then most Livebearers, so these aren't the fish to keep in your 10 gallon. Except possibly Balloons but even they should be kept in a bigger tank. Mollies are very hardy fish when kept in the right conditions, and I would recommend them to a Beginner as long as they have those conditions and a proper sized tank.
Final Comment

The final choice of what goes in your tank is YOURS. This thread was meant as a springboard for you to do more research before taking one of these fish home. Use caution when relying on 'future plans for a larger tank' because one never knows what will happen in several months to years. Many lfs' will not take back a large fish, nor will public aquariums. Be a conscientious aquarist and stock your tank with fish that will grow into it comfortably.

I AM A BEGINNER!
Damn, will this work?

20 Gallon Tank with the following fish-
Lyretail Dalmation Molly-3
Cardinal Tetras-3
Sparkling gouramies-3

If so, how?

No one likes to finger a particular fish. What is easy to keep in one person's tank may wreak havoc in the life of another person's. If you are just starting out, the fish listed below may not be good first choices for many reasons.

Iridescent Sharks, Pangasius hypophthalmus

They look great in the tank at the lfs. Small, shiny, great swimmers. They don't stay that way. They can grow to almost 3 feet. They are excitable and can smash against the aquarium wall at high speeds and injure themselves. During water changes they can exit your tank like a rocket. They also become nocturnal.

Bala Sharks, Balantiocheilus melanopterus

Another teeny tiny fish that grows HUGE.

Plecos, Hypostomus sp.

Everyone needs an algae eater, right? Plecos can again outgrow most tanks.

Chinese Algae Eaters

These are the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde's of fishkeeping. These little fellows start out small and eating algae. They grow large and then develop an appetite for your tank inhabitants. Algae eating fish are frequently mislabelled at your lfs. Be careful.

Knifefishes

Grow huge and if your favorite fish becomes smaller in size than their mouth, they get pursued quietly from behind and then sucked in.

Goldfish

Very familiar to many of us at fairs and as kids. Goldfish tend to be 'dirty', ie, carry parasites and nasty bacteria. They also don't belong in tropical tanks as they are coldwater fish.

Piranhas

Grow huge. Need space. Should be in schools. Feed them well or they get hungry. Many end up getting ill from being fed 'feeder' fish for owners who keep them to watch their eating habits.

Painted Glassfish, Pseudambassis ranga or Chanda ranga

Now, how did nature get these guys do have a fluorescent stripe on their back? Well, nature didn't. They were cruelly injected with dye. These poor fish have a higher likelihood of getting sick. If you feel sorry for them, complain to the lfs who bought them. If you decide to give them a home, they will benefit from some aquarium salt in the tank.

Many othered dyed fish

If you think that many fish come in sorts of fruit colors, think again. Strawberried, raspberried, blueberries. NOT!!! Injected. Victims frequently include white skirt tetras, some botias. Ask first before buying.

Elephant nose, Gnathonemus petersii

High maintenance for beginners. Nocturnal and usually needs to be fed at night. Needs a larger tank, meaty foods, can be aggressive.

Red-tailed catfish, Phractocephalus hemioliopterus

Grows HUGE. Do you have an 8 foot tank?

Various other cats

Catfish eat fish.....aquarium fish. They grow large even tho' they are small at the lfs. One common species is the Pictus cat. Others are the channel cat and the shovelnose cat.

Baby Whale, Petrocephalus bovei

Similar to the elephant nose. May prefer live foods.

Various Eels of the Spiny Nature, Mastacembelus

Tire track eels, Zig Zag Yellowtail Eel, Fire Eel, eg. All nocturnal predators, grow large and require large tanks.

Fishes of a delicate nature

Listed below are a few fish that are very easy to obtain at the lfs but, for many reasons, just aren't that easy to keep. Although not in the category of growing large or being aggressive, they CAN be problematic for some and might be better choices after you have some experience under your belt. A few to give thought about before purchasing include:
  • hatchetfish-can be prone to ich; they can and DO jump out of the tank when startled. Need to be in groups to reduce stress.
  • glass cats-need to be in groups; like to have some current; can die for no apparent reason
  • otos (otocinclus)-have been known to die soon after acclimation without any evidence of disease; theories include loss of the ability to digest food during transport
  • pencilfish-sensitive to water conditions
Brackish Fish

Brackish fish have different requirements than regular FW fish in that they need salt in their environment. Brackish areas are those near the sea or where freshwater approaches the ocean. Setting up these tanks requires some research and preparation and, perhaps, is best left for when you have a few more miles underneath your belt. Some brackish fish include:
  • scats
  • monos
  • various puffers
  • archers
  • Mollies; Poecilia sphenops, Poecilia latipinna, and Poecilia velifera (Though often a mix of two or more)

Mollies are often regarded as a Beginner Fish, seeing as they are Livebearers, which are considered some of the easiest fish to breed and keep. Mollies are pretty easy, as fish go, however they aren't as easy as say...your common Platy. Mollies need to be kept in either some salt, or if kept in freshwater, hard and alkaline water. If you have soft, acidic water you can still keep Mollies, however you will want to add salt. Without salt or hard, alkaline water, they are much more prone to disease, especially "shimmies". Some Mollies are raised in total freshwater, and can live in softer, acidic water, however it's not going to be healthiest or best for them.

Also, most Mollies get fairly large, and with Sailfins especially, the males can be aggressive. They need a larger tank then most Livebearers, so these aren't the fish to keep in your 10 gallon. Except possibly Balloons but even they should be kept in a bigger tank. Mollies are very hardy fish when kept in the right conditions, and I would recommend them to a Beginner as long as they have those conditions and a proper sized tank.
Final Comment

The final choice of what goes in your tank is YOURS. This thread was meant as a springboard for you to do more research before taking one of these fish home. Use caution when relying on 'future plans for a larger tank' because one never knows what will happen in several months to years. Many lfs' will not take back a large fish, nor will public aquariums. Be a conscientious aquarist and stock your tank with fish that will grow into it comfortably.

I AM A BEGINNER!
Damn, will this work?

20 Gallon Tank with the following fish-
Lyretail Dalmation Molly-3
Cardinal Tetras-3
Sparkling gouramies-3

If so, how?

wow

a lot of food for thought!

i have learnt so much from this site already! who needs books!!! :good:

Morbid, where are you located? I have a pond that may possibly work for him.

are neon tetras something to avoid?

i love their colours

It's because people "love their colours" that they are sensitive. They are a really popular fish, as they are small so suit any aquarium, and they shoal in groups. People have been breeding them in harsh conditions to produce quantity not quality.

haha typical inadvised / not researched enough my first first are mollies and neon tetras, i did have 2 white tipped tetras but they were bullying my others so i gave them away. I have lost a few mollies but my neons seem to be coping ok, very interesting read i love this site!

I think clown loaches are easy to care for as long as you know they are going to grow large and can accomodate a group of say 4-6 they pretty much take care of themselves.

You could be spreading a disease from a foreign ecosystem into a local ecosystem.
But doesn't waste water go to a purification plant b4 going back to the sea?(just curious.conspiracies)

Pets at Home sold me two Pakistani Loaches years ago. Aparantly a friendly fish for the community tank. Some of my fish began losing eyes and fins. I phoned a repatable store in Middlesbrough to ask the cause. He had me list my fish. He stoped me when I said loach. I'll never buy a loach again. I got rid of them and my problems went away.

I'm not so much bad mouthing loaches. Its the store people who give bad advice. Be wary of retail monsters. They dont care about your stock. Read up on what you desire and ask from experienced keepers

I think it possibly depends on what you keep them with and how big your tank is.

My tank is mainly a loach tank and the footprint is 4' x 2', I'm upgrading to an even bigger 6' x 2' shortly as I like to make sure my loaches have as much space on the bottom as possible. I've noticed bullying between yoyo loaches, but the effect of this is minimal in my tank as it's heavily planted and there's at least 6 pieces of bogwood so that they all have plenty of space.

I have yoyo loaches, zebra loaches and clown loaches and I love them! Not really beginners fish as they get easily stressed and are very prone to ich and a little harder to treat than some other fish. I think zebra loaches are fairly easy to keep though.

I have seen bristlenoses listed as beginner's fish, but these do need some requirements that stores won't always mention - bogwood to rasp on, protein food (mussels etc) as well as supplemented vegetable food (there is never enough algae in a tank!).

do rummynose tetras have to go into a well established tank? because ill be having 6 of them as well as 20-25 neons, but i dont think ill be adding my neons for a few months.

and how old does a tank usually have to be before becoming esablished/mature.

In my experience of fish keeping, These are the fishes that should be for biggeners and the fishes that are not for biggeners:

Biggener Fish:
1): Zebra Danio (Very peaceful and hardy and can breed very easily)
2): Tiger Barb (A hardy Fish that is known for it's fin nipping behavior)
3): Sword Tail (A Very hardy fish that can be a bred easily)
4): Black Tetra (Also known as Black widow Tetra, it is very common in most petshops, and it should be kept in groups. Try throwing a fly in thier tank and look what will happen!

The Fishes that are not for Biggeners:
1):Discus cichlid (very delicate fish)
2):Oscar Cichlid (easy to keep but aggeressive and grow big)
3):pacu (known to break the glass wall when frightened and Grow big)
4):Tinfoil Barb (Grow's big but a bit easy to keep)
5):Red-Tailed catfish (Grows to Huge size and eat small tank mates, public aquariums are usually big enogh for them)
6):Bala shark (Grow big and usually jump out of water when frightened)

I started off with a clown loach (I had no idea I should get more than one of them) and some other fish, and I was told that they would be a bottom dweller, but mine utilizes the whole tank. I would have thought it was a great fish for beginners, but now I'm wondering if its possibly stressed out for some reason?

I started off with a clown loach (I had no idea I should get more than one of them) and some other fish, and I was told that they would be a bottom dweller, but mine utilizes the whole tank. I would have thought it was a great fish for beginners, but now I'm wondering if its possibly stressed out for some reason?

Clownloaches are not for beginners for a few reasons. One being they eventually grow to a foot long but this takes a good few years. And yes as said they need to be in groups of 5 minimum.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back