Potassium Test Kits

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pescado Guy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ok so I'm getting my plants pretty soon and I really want to be able to monitor all of the nutrients that I am feeding my plants. Most of you plant people know that the three macronutrients that plants require are nitrate, phosphate, and potassium. I got the first two covered as far as testing goes but I have yet to find a test kit for potassium. I'm hoping it will be cheap but really anything would be great. If any of you know about a good one that has worked for you please share! Thanks!

Kevin

I've read that potassium doesn't harm fish if u overdose, as long as its not stupidly overdosed. Its not like iron. i may be wrong however, but thats what i read

I dont think a test kit is required. I just add some potassium every day and I've had no problems if i accidently put a tad more.

i would say iron is also an important nutrient.
my plants suffer if i dont have iron or even forget you can tell slightly that it isn't at its best.
for me, it is even more important than potassium or nitrates.

i honestly don't even monitor nitrates. I just make sure I do my weekly waterchange.

hope this helps

It's not the fish that pottasium can cause problems with, but Algae. Nutrafin makes a Pottasium test kit, so does Red Sea, and Lamotte.

Look in the saltwater section of your local fish store.

ive always read that the potassium test kits were very unreliable and not worth having, ive never had one myself

Well, they are and they aren't. I haven't had to do nutrient supliments yet so I haven't bothered buying one. I am going off of what I have read on mutliple planted tank forums and people who have dealt with it. :)

Hey I add potassium and it does the job great along with just pure iron. You don't need a test kit, just add it every week or two for your tanks' size dosage. HTH :nod:

Hey sounds good. Yeah I forgot to mention iron in the list but I'll deffinatly be giving them that. It's nice that overdosing potassium won't hurt the fish. I'll be watching the algae too and if everything else is at a good level and there's still a ton of algae, I'll know there might be too much potassium. Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Most reactions

Back