Posting Fish

lokkochaa

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Barnsley UK
Ive got a number of Geo fry and my Jewel's have just got wrigglers too. Im based in Barnsley and have had a few enquires to whether i can post them to people.

Obviously i want to make them as available as possible to people as they are beautiful fish, but ive never posted any before and wondered what you have to do. Are the delivery rates good as obviously i dont want the little guys to die.

If someone who has done this a lot in the past could run me thru it it would be greatly appreciated, also what kind of money (£) are we looking at

Thanks
 
I personally havent done it, but they way to do it is, get some poly boxes, heat packs and good strong fish bags (all these can be found on fleabay if you cant find them anywhere else), bag the fish in your tank water, add some oxygen if you can, tape the ends up so the fish dont get stuck in the corners of the bag, bag again in case of leaks, place the heat pack in the polybox along with the fish and use some shredded paper of something to fill the box so the bag doesnt move around much. Then tape up the box. The later in the day you can do this before posting the better as the less time the fish will have to stay in that way.

Post via RM special next working day before 1pm or if you want to spend a little extra on posting special before 9am. Obviously you will need to ensure the person you are posting to is available for delivery so arrange the day before posting.

Ive had plenty of fish delivered this way and so far only one casualty and this wasnt due to the posting conditions but the fish it was bagged with.

If your posting seperate species, do them in seperate bags, but in the same box as the weight limit is quite large for a single box.
 
Most people ship for £7-8 you must follow these rules <a href="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1159" target="_blank">http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1159</a>

It is actually against the user agreement of the RM to use them and you should ship livestock via courier, however if you don't say I won't :)

Haha shhhhhhhhhh, what are heat packs? I cant get on Fleabay (longstory), will people be interested if they have to pay nearly £10 to get them shipped?
 
Heat packs are just as they say, heat packs, they contain crystals I believe that once activated, warm up and usually last up to 24hrs, some for longer depending on the brand. You can also get them online from other retailers, google them :good:

Yes if people want the fish and cant get them in their area, £10 is a small price to pay, dont forget to include the posting materials in the cost, you dont want to be out of pocket.
 
yes people would pay that, i paid £10 for my betta's and £22 for two discus to be delivered
 
yes people would pay that, i paid £10 for my betta's and £22 for two discus to be delivered

Just not sure where to source the bits i need like the poly box, heat pad etc.

Got around 30 geo's for sale and will have lots of red jewels as well, would prefer to sell to someone on here than my LFS
 
you tried aqua classifieds? think i saw the heat packs for 5 for £8 or something similar.

personally I'd use a courier like

[URL="http://www.apc-overnight.com/"]http://www.apc-overnight.com/[/URL]

I've had a number of things sent royal mail next day delivery and it taking two or more days

pity all my tanks are basically discus as i'd love some jewels, not sure how they be in with two angels in the community tank
 
Iam also looking into it, ive been told flea bay's great for bag's boxe's etc.....
Royal mail next day gareenteed it great apparently but you have to say what's in there ofcourse
 
Royal mail next day gareenteed it great apparently but you have to say what's in there ofcourse

Why? I've never been asked what I'm sending. If I was asked I'd say aquatic plants probably lol

You can get heatpacks from outdoor leisure shops, but that will work out expensive so Ebay is where we get ours. Other than poly boxes you can use small cradboard boxes. For one fish an 8"x8"x8" box will be fine. Double bag the fish, and use those polystyrene things (look like wotsits) to pack all around the fish. Pop the heatpack in the box, seal it and then wrap in a cut down black bin liner. Mark as "Fragile" and hey presto :good:

Try and leave it till the latest possible time to take it to the PO. I take ours to the main sorting office which is open till 7pm :good:
 
Royal mail next day gareenteed it great apparently but you have to say what's in there ofcourse

Why? I've never been asked what I'm sending. If I was asked I'd say aquatic plants probably lol

You can get heatpacks from outdoor leisure shops, but that will work out expensive so Ebay is where we get ours. Other than poly boxes you can use small cradboard boxes. For one fish an 8"x8"x8" box will be fine. Double bag the fish, and use those polystyrene things (look like wotsits) to pack all around the fish. Pop the heatpack in the box, seal it and then wrap in a cut down black bin liner. Mark as "Fragile" and hey presto :good:

Try and leave it till the latest possible time to take it to the PO. I take ours to the main sorting office which is open till 7pm :good:

Thanks, sounds fair enough!!!

Do you normally send next day delivery?

Could i just use Wotsits?lol na i know what u mean, could use newspaper instead i guess, found a site that does heat packs for about £1.
 
Its about £8 I think, unless RM have put their prices up.

Ill have a gander on their website, so £10 sounds about right.

How long can the fish survive in an oxygen rich bag? I would only think a few hours but obviously people are posting overnight etc
 

Most reactions

Back
Top