Possible Yellow Lab Cichlid?

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

The first fish is one of the smaller ones, the second fish is larger. You can see the vertical stripes on the second picture, but all the fish have those. I think they have ich, so like abyss said, the vertical stripes could be caused from stress. I noticed first my pleco had ich, so they probably got it from him. Since it came from petsmart. The cichlids came from a home that bred them. I know how to take care of it. But I finally got pictures, those are the best 2 out of like 50 :lol: They dont like to hold still for pictures :).

I noticed some have 2 spots. Is that the difference between the male and female? Do all african cichlids have those? And will these guys do ok with any other african cichlids?

Look like a Metriaclima estherae or maybe a Pseudotropheus saulosi to me?

The egg spots are usually found on males, but they can also develop on females.

Picture of a Pseudotropheus saulosi:
Pseudotropheus_saulosi.jpg

-FHM

Thanks fatheadminnow and saltwaterfanatic, ill have to look up those names. SWF they are the same fish, they just look different from the lighting.

I don't think they are Pseudotropheus saulosi , as the females as in the picture, have a grey spot on their gill plate, and their heads are shaped differently. Though, both those factors may be contributed with age.

As before, I vote that it may be Metriaclima estherae a.k.a. Red Zebra :

CopyofDSCF0659.jpg

I don't think they are Pseudotropheus saulosi , as the females as in the picture, have a grey spot on their gill plate, and their heads are shaped differently. Though, both those factors may be contributed with age.

As before, I vote that it may be Metriaclima estherae a.k.a. Red Zebra :

CopyofDSCF0659.jpg
okay then ya they are the same fish so they are red zebra cichlids whose scientific name is Metriaclima estherae.

So I emailed the guys that i got the fish from. He said they are yellow labs and the males will get the black stripe. So the wife was right. So maybe because they are still young they dont show the stripes yet. I guess time will tell. Thanks everyone who took a look at this. I guess just one more question, are they compatible with other fish?

So I emailed the guys that i got the fish from. He said they are yellow labs and the males will get the black stripe. So the wife was right. So maybe because they are still young they dont show the stripes yet. I guess time will tell. Thanks everyone who took a look at this. I guess just one more question, are they compatible with other fish?
Yes they are compatible with other mbuna cichlids that are low in aggression probably the ones to avoid would be kenyi cichlids and demansoni cichlids unless you have a tank over 80gallons and with lots of hiding places for bottom dwellers i would suggest lake malawi catfish and i would not put in live plants umless they are java fern or java moss also a good substrate would be sand or crushed coral because it rises the ph and for hiding places i would say slate, limestone, or any rocks. Also these guys love spirulina flakes and these are one of the least aggressive mbuna out there. Have fun!

those don't look like yellow labs, even really young ones have a hint of black in their fins. I would go with red zebras or zebra/lab cross that alot of people sell as all yellow labs or lemon yellows. either way they should do fine with other mbuna as long as you have a tank big enough for them.

id go with saulosi as mine looked exactly the same a few months ago

Most reactions

Back