Malawi brooding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maingano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!! I haven't really posted in a long while haha but I have some questions in regards to my cichlids. In my 225 litres malawi cichlid tank, I noticed one of my yellow labs (a female) breeding with my Maylandia Greyshaki (a male). Not sure how this is possible as they're genera so I thought nothing would come out of it. But the day after (this happened 23 days ago) up to now, the yellow lab has not been eating and has her mouth extended almost like a pouch. Im pretty sure she has fry or atleast eggs. Should I remove her from the main tank? Should I forcefully open her mouth to check? Im also worried that the eggs arent viable but she doesnt know that and so is still holding on to them.

Thank you in advance:D

The fry will likely be viable as most species and genera are so closely related. From what I know you could try and strip her but I'd just let nature take its course and see if any survive - hybrids are not great as you might not be able to move them on so hopefully you'll have some kind of natural predation via something like a synodontis catfish to help keep the fry and eggs under control.

Wills

The fry will likely be viable as most species and genera are so closely related. From what I know you could try and strip her but I'd just let nature take its course and see if any survive - hybrids are not great as you might not be able to move them on so hopefully you'll have some kind of natural predation via something like a synodontis catfish to help keep the fry and eggs under control.

Wills
How long more do you think until she releases them and resolves to usual activity? Its been like 24 days so far. Thank you.

How long more do you think until she releases them and resolves to usual activity? Its been like 24 days so far. Thank you.
I’m new to it too but I think it’s usually about 3 weeks so could be any day now.

If you don't see fry after a month, milk the female. You catch her out and hold her over a container of water. Gently stroke the underside of her throat. She should cough up whatever is in her mouth. If she has babies, put her in a container with the babies. If she has clear eggs, put her in a tank without the eggs. If the eggs have embryos, put her with the eggs and see if she collects them back up.

If you don't see fry after a month, milk the female. You catch her out and hold her over a container of water. Gently stroke the underside of her throat. She should cough up whatever is in her mouth. If she has babies, put her in a container with the babies. If she has clear eggs, put her in a tank without the eggs. If the eggs have embryos, put her with the eggs and see if she collects them back up.

Right, thanks :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back