Possible To Never Substrate Vac?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just curious really as to other peoples experience. Before rescaping my tank, i used to vac my sand substrate about every 4 - 5 days, firstly because it was unsightly on light coloured sand, and secondly to remove waste, obviously. Since rescaping, i dont seem to get much waste at all on the substrate, which I guess is due to flow changes and the filters picking up all the crud that used to lie on the substrate. Oviously, this is a great position for me to be in but I was curious to know if anyone else has stopped substrate cleaning due to this?

Just curious really as to other peoples experience. Before rescaping my tank, i used to vac my sand substrate about every 4 - 5 days, firstly because it was unsightly on light coloured sand, and secondly to remove waste, obviously. Since rescaping, i dont seem to get much waste at all on the substrate, which I guess is due to flow changes and the filters picking up all the crud that used to lie on the substrate. Oviously, this is a great position for me to be in but I was curious to know if anyone else has stopped substrate cleaning due to this?
I only use a net to net out any waste I see. I don't have a gravel vac (tried making one and failed to make it work).
The waste in my case isn't picked up by the filter, but is instead picked up by a swordtail I have that seems to enjoy removing the waste... and many other things that shouldn't normally be edible (such as snail mucus or plant roots).
My filter only picks up the waste if the hoplo disturbs the sand and causes the stuff to fly to the filter.

The main piece of bogwood in the centre of my tank does tend to obstruct water flow, but only right at the bottom of my tank.. because of this i have always had to work that little bit harder to get one half of my sand substrate cleaner than the other.
Also, i ensure the vast majority of my 40/50 weekly water changes are taken from a thorough vac above my sand, rather than a simply syphon and wait approach.

Terry.

My dad said he'll set up a water pump. Should work for getting whatever is left between areas where I cannot use the net. Got no fish that could be sucked up in a small hose either, until I'll release the fry in the main tank.

My dad said he'll set up a water pump. Should work for getting whatever is left between areas where I cannot use the net. Got no fish that could be sucked up in a small hose either, until I'll release the fry in the main tank.

Have you tried a simple piece of hose pipe and an Old School Suck? I have 3 different length pieces, allowing me to safely get into gaps and corners that a shorter piece wouldn't allow.

Terry.

Have you tried a simple piece of hose pipe and an Old School Suck? I have 3 different length pieces, allowing me to safely get into gaps and corners that a shorter piece wouldn't allow.

Terry.
I don't really want to suck the water like my mom did when she was emptying one old tank we had... Eww o_O
Rather have a pump do the sucking and not have to keep on sucking the hose whenever it stops.

Aw I didn't see you as the wimpy sort FishBlast!! :p

I've only ever got a mouthful once hehe.

Aw I didn't see you as the wimpy sort FishBlast!! :p

I've only ever got a mouthful once hehe.
I thought everyone already knew I'm a wimp. o_O

heh-heh :lol:
If done properly though, you never have to get a mouthfull... a clear hose helps me do this.

Terry.
Mine was a clear red hose. Still same one that my mom somehow took a mouthful of water from.
The second one was a black plastic hose, tried different methods with it:
1) Filling it with water and then lifting it up then putting it back in.
2) Same as 1) but holding a finger at the other end... worked for a few seconds, then stopped.
3) Using a bottle to hold water and then sink it back in... Still failed. -.-

lol you're doing something wrong, not sure what! Try doing a youtube search to see a video of how others do it?

lol you're doing something wrong, not sure what! Try doing a youtube search to see a video of how others do it?
Did that when I asked my dad to cut a bottle to make a head for the hose... Even the people in the vids had a bit of trouble before making it work.
Why can't I just use a pump instead? I like technology better...

Did that when I asked my dad to cut a bottle to make a head for the hose... Even the people in the vids had a bit of trouble before making it work.
Why can't I just use a pump instead? I like technology better...

You can use what you like, i think a pump would be a great idea... just saying a simply piece of hose does the job just as well.

Terry.

You can use what you like, i think a pump would be a great idea... just saying a simply piece of hose does the job just as well.

Terry.
Can't help it if I keep failing even though I was doing same as what I saw. The only problem might be that the tank is not high enough, other people had their tanks way higher than mine on a tall stand and their hose's end was way lower.

yeah when you are sucking you are best off having the end you are sucking on below the tank, and keep it lower than the end in the tank and it will sustain flow. Make sure if flow stops that you completely empty the pipe before sucking again as water may be sitting in a bend in the hose close to the sucking end - that could be what your mum took up!

Just noticed at the start of this thread that The Taffy Apple does 40/50 water changes a week - now thats dedication for you! (and a darn good pair of lungs on the end of the pipe) :lol:

I use the pipe-sucking method on my tank, once a week to 'take out the waste' on the sand when water changing, taking the water out in the process (about 40-50%). Tonyb111111, you might find the current is piling up the c##p in little hidden-away corners which should simplify removal for you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back