Possible Parasites In My Tank, Need Some Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So Im back again with yet another problem... *sigh*

So the other day I flipped this piece of driftwood (which looks like a dead tree) upside-down, and I noticed an odd piece of white cobweb-type material covering the base of the tree 'trunk'. The next day when i looked at it, the white was completely gone, so I suspect my Bristlenose ate it... Now about a week later, some of my fish have been behaving strangely. My Purple spotted Gudgeon seemed to be flicking himself against ornaments/gravel, which is of course never a good sign. Some of my other fish have since replicated this behaviour, but they haven't been doing it obsessively. Maybe every couple of days or so. However, i cannot see anything on their bodies at all, no matter how hard I look. The point is that I'm worried i unearthed some kind of parasitic growth in the tank and have thus spread it to everyone. I looked at my bristle nose today and he had a white, webby looking patch on his body, and his scales seem to be 'furry'. I've attached photos below showing the tree and the white patch on his body. Its a little hard to see, but he was moving around quite a lot, so these are the best pictures i could get. Look really closely on the bristle nose and you'll see a faint white patch (almost looks like a reflection on the glass, hut I assure you it isn't). Its worse irl, and looks kinda fluffy. A little like cotton body
confused.gif
If you guys think this is some kind of parasitic outbreak, what would you recommend I treat everyone with? If not, any ideas as to what the heck is going on? D: Thanks in advance! 

And yes, my bristle nose wasn't too happy with me taking photos of him, hence the barbs XD

Attachments

• white stick.jpg
    white stick.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 202
  • bristlenose 1.jpg
    bristlenose 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 212
  • bristlenose 2.jpg
    bristlenose 2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 201
  • bristlenose 3.jpg
    bristlenose 3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 216
Think the two things aren't related but your fish indeed is infected.
Looks like bacterial or a protozoan.
I'd try some Paraguard to treat with.

Wet wood will eventually rot and the white material you see is a common fungus that does feed on wood.  It has probably been in your tank for a long time.  If so it is probably not harmfull.   However if the wood was resently added it might be a problem. 

DoubleDutch: Whew! Thank goodness they aren't related... And yes the wood has been in there a long time. Weirdly enough, I can't see it on said bristle nose anymore! Theres no patch of white anymore, but it was definitely there the other day. I'll stay vigilant though, and treat if in doubt. 

StevenF: Thats a relief to hear! 

Thanks for the quick responses guys! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back