Poorly Balloon Molly!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MsEmJx

Reaction score
So me and my boyfriend decided to get a fish tank... As a result of our new love for watching Tanked!

We bought ourselves a 100 litre tank, took advice from the pet store and bought all relevant test kits to ensure a healthy tank.

We currently have 2 Balloon Molly's, 2 Rams and most recently 5 Guppys. (our first fish Bob died about an hour ago... Poor Marley has lost his companion!)

A recent ammonia test a couple of days ago didn't look good at all, so we have done water changes every day since, treating the water with tap safe. The nitrate level is fine, the PH is perfect. Although still ammonia, although it is improving according to the test result.

My black Balloon Molly has always appeared a bit dopey, but we noticed that his lip appeared slightly crumpled in comparison to the white one. We put this down to injury and hoped it would clear up. He now unfortunately has what appears to be a white lip, although I'm not sure it could be described as 'fury' it does look sore. He won't move from the top left hand corner of the tank, just below the surface of water. He has always kept himself to himself in comparison to his adventurous other, but he has isolated himself from the rest of the tank.

We're not really sure what action to take? Also, we're not sure why our other fish has died today and he has only been in there since Sunday?

The rest of our fish seem to be behaving normally, but I would hate to put more fish at risk through doings of our inexperience?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Emily x

Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with your molly's lip. I imagine it was caused by poor water quality though as it sounds like your tank isn't cycled.

Can you get a picture of your molly? Hopefully someone can figure out what exactly it is and how to heal it. It may just take lots of clean water though.

Can you give the exact water parameters? (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) And are you using liquid or strip tests?

Most reactions

Back