Pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Patrick333

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Give me some great information on constucting, filtration, stocking, aquatic plants all of the stuff. Its probably gong to be 15 feet times 15 feet. I would like somethong other than koi but want it to be a beautiful fish.
thanks

Ok Will Do the Fish Bit.

There are Many Types of fish that would not normally be considered for an pond.

From my own Experience and I amd in England so much colder here.

Guppies - Yes/No
White Mountian Couds - Yes
Orandas - Yes
Lionheads - Yes
Ryunkins - Yes they love it.
Danios - Yes - Butterfly - Zebra - Leopard - Gold - Long Finned - Giant
- No - Pearl not here but maybe in Cali. - Blue Never seen any.
Loaches - Weather and Hillstream - Yes
Of Course Common Goldfish
Sarasa Comets - Def yes very very long Fins.
Shubunkins - Yes
Japanese Bubble Eye's - Def Yes, in the right conditions they grew to over 8 inches. But Not Albino Bubbles.
Popeye Orandas - Yes.
Don't know if anyone else has seen them, but Had a Pygmy Ryunkin. But - Yes.
Rainbow Paradise Fish - Yes They wil tolerate a low as 10 degrees in Winter.

Hope this helps. Planting was never my thing in the pond Just Big and clear full of shoals of all of the above.

This was in my 12ft by 6ft by 5ft.

plan very well and figure out what you are going to do with the extra dirt. I would suggest buying a ten gallon bucket and a very large pump and running it through the ten gallon full of your filter media. If you are going for a concreat pond it will be expensive a free form liner is the cheapest If you want a waterfall plan for it from the begining a multy levle pond will increase the airation of your pond and provide a seperate breeding are incase you want to keep incompatable fish or fry in a seperate area or plants in one area and fish in another. You could keep sun fish or bass or minnows or sticleback minnow or trout or any fresh water fish you catch would be a good choice (asuming it won't eat other fish orget to big) Ig you want live bearers get mosquitoe fish they are top feeders and will dcimate mosquitoe populations.

Why dont you want to keep koi theye grow quite large and can live quite long (alot longer than you) so you dont need to deal with death as often as you do with smaller fish and they are very tasty If you spend 200 bucks on 4 japanease koi you can sell the offspring after a few years and actualy turn a profit while enjoying a pond.

opcn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back