Pond Dechlorinator

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
4,734
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
W.Yorks, UK
I'm nearly out of Stress Coat, and the expense is rediculous - everyone keeps saying pond dechlor is better value but which one is best?

Also, is there a place that's best to buy from?
 
For tap water, Stress Coat is the *best* I have ever come across out of the "dechlorinators" because it removes chloramine too (which is now starting to be used in tap water in UK and is more dangerous then chlorine). The best alternative I know of is sodium thiosulfate which is cheaper then chips and removes chlorine and chloramine, both.
 
You can easily overdose with pond dechlorinator, why not go for Seachem Prime ? you don't need to use much either. I change 150 gallons a week, and a bottle of Prime lasts me around 5 months, and at £15, I don't think that's too much to pay.
 
I use tetra aquasafe for ponds, it removes chlorine and chloramine. Works out alot cheaper than the aquarium version as it's consentrated.
 
You can easily overdose with pond dechlorinator, why not go for Seachem Prime ? you don't need to use much either. I change 150 gallons a week, and a bottle of Prime lasts me around 5 months, and at £15, I don't think that's too much to pay.

£15 for a bottle sounds good - what size is it and where do you buy it from?

Here's another question: why is it bad to overdose with dechlor?

And a third lol: some posters on here have said that when changing water with a hose you should dechlor the whole tank instead of just the water you're adding. Why is this?

Btw RD, those are not just aimed at you! :)
 
i use tetra pond aquasafe, i pay £12 for 500ml and treats 10,000 litres and lasts me about a year on a 240 litre, 100, litre and a 60 litre. i have very delicate fish and it has never caused any bother. reoves chlorine and chloramines. yo won't get much cheaper than that
 
I use Kockney Koi dechlorinator, 10ml does 750 litres. I can't say I've ever had a problem with overdosing, or if I have its had no noticeable affects.
 
I know of people that have lost their whole collection by overdosing on pond dechlorinator. You can buy Seachem Prime at most fish shops and you can get three different sizes. I use a hose to refill after water changes so I treat the whole aquarium. Here is a run down of the product for you CLICKY
 
I know of people that have lost their whole collection by overdosing on pond dechlorinator. You can buy Seachem Prime at most fish shops and you can get three different sizes. I use a hose to refill after water changes so I treat the whole aquarium. Here is a run down of the product for you CLICKY

Seachem claim that their product removes ammonia and Nitrite- Can this be true??
 
Doesnt prime stop the bacteriin our filteers from being ablee feed on the ammooiaour fish produce then rendering our bio filters useless? or does it nly render anyy ammonia found in our tap water non toxic and anyfurther ammonia produced by fish iused by our bacteria in our filters?
 
I know of people that have lost their whole collection by overdosing on pond dechlorinator. You can buy Seachem Prime at most fish shops and you can get three different sizes. I use a hose to refill after water changes so I treat the whole aquarium. Here is a run down of the product for you CLICKY

Seachem claim that their product removes ammonia and Nitrite- Can this be true??

The only time I have used the double dose is when my daughter dropped the pot of food into her small tank and didn't tell me until half an hour later. I found the fish all breathing heavily as you would and I cleaned out all the remaining food, did a large water change and double dosed as per the instructions. We didn't loose any fish, and everything went back to normal. After testing the water, there was a trace of ammonia (probably because the Prime binds the ammonia making it easier for the filter to remove) As for Ren & stumpy's post. I have used Prime for 18 months and never had a problem with my filter bacteria. I know many fish keepers who use Prime and have never had problems.
 
Here's another question: why is it bad to overdose with dechlor?
Because it is usually not specific to chlorine/chloramine only. It will affect many other things in the aquarium, sometimes including minerals which the fish do need.

And a third lol: some posters on here have said that when changing water with a hose you should dechlor the whole tank instead of just the water you're adding. Why is this?
Because how can you premix dechlorinator in the water there is nothing but a hose between the tank and tap? :)

Seachem claim that their product removes ammonia and Nitrite- Can this be true??
Yes. But that is actually bad because you do not want to remove the nitrite as that will result in the loss of Nitrobacter (nitrite to nitrate bacteria).. this can cause a nitrite spike before it is time to do a water change, which would be harmful to the fish. It also means that you can not change to a different dechlorinator without having a mini-nitrite cycle all over again.
Also, tap water (as far as I am aware) NEVER has nitrite in it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top