Pond algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dyood

Reaction score
Right I have an issue, my dad owns a pond and won't listen to me about how to help, so basically I'm not sure on the size of the pond as he built it himself but i know it is slightly over stocked, he over feeds them, he has a mixture of koi goldfish and 2 sturgeons.

He rinses all his filters off with the hose all the time, so is there anyway I can help with the algae issue he is having.

He has 2 filters which is over kill for his pond, and 2 uv clarifiers, but are not on atm as he found out one has blown and one of his filters is about 2 weeks old so still not turned on yet.

He has plants and water features. But I need help on what to do any advice would be great.

I'm in the uk just to clarify.

If its floating green algae turn on the UV clarifiers and leave them on 24/7. Should clear it within a week. The tubes / bulbs do need to be replaced annually.

Do big water changes and suck the gunk out of the bottom each week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine.
If your dad doesn't like this idea, do it when he's not home.

Add some floating plants to reduce the light and use the nutrients.

I don't think I should say this, but am I the only one here that is more concerned how OP's dad thinks? I don't like how he overstocks a pond and overfeeds them.

If its floating green algae turn on the UV clarifiers and leave them on 24/7. Should clear it within a week. The tubes / bulbs do need to be replaced annually.
Its not free floating its stuck on the bottom and side, we don't replace them annually we needed a new filter because his other one was too small
Do big water changes and suck the gunk out of the bottom each week.
Told him this and wont listen
If your dad doesn't like this idea, do it when he's not home.
Wish I could he is disabled and home 24/7

I don't think I should say this, but am I the only one here that is more concerned how OP's dad thinks? I don't like how he overstocks a pond and overfeeds them.
Honestly it is slightly over stocked but I have to admit 2 sturgeons is too much for his pond, I have warned him on the over feeding but he won't listen

Honestly it is slightly over stocked but I have to admit 2 sturgeons is too much for his pond, I have warned him on the over feeding but he won't listen
Yeah, and that's what scares me :/ Overfeeding = excess rotting waste + excess nutrients = algae

Hard to say without pics or more details. My pond has a 2-3" covering on the walls and floor this time of year. The pond is cleanish and the water clear. I'm ok with this because my fish won't allow me to keep any plants so that's it for photosynthesis.

IIRC more algae than that or blanketweed is a real problem for sturgeon as they cannot swim backwards so could drown if they get trapped. I hope its not a pair because (again assuming my memory is accurate) a single female can produce 3 million eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back