Polypterus?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Do most, or all species of Polypterus get along? For instance if I wanted to keep a tank of just Polypterus what could I have? I have a Senegal Bichir and an Ornate Bichir in different tanks. But I'd like to do a tank of oddball fish at my dad's office. Which is where the Polypterus would go, tank's 72gallons.

So any others I can keep with the Ornate already in the tank?

Do most, or all species of Polypterus get along? For instance if I wanted to keep a tank of just Polypterus what could I have? I have a Senegal Bichir and an Ornate Bichir in different tanks. But I'd like to do a tank of oddball fish at my dad's office. Which is where the Polypterus would go, tank's 72gallons.

So any others I can keep with the Ornate already in the tank?

yeh providing the sizes ar similar , in a 72 u'll be pushing it with an ornate as they can and regulary do get over 18inch which will be most likely wider than your tank. you could get a group of senegals

I have kept a delhezi, a senegal, and an ornate together all about the same size, and they never had any trouble getting along with each other or the other fish. Just as long as they cant fit each other in their mouth i think multiple bichirs are okay together.

Awsome! now I know, thanks :) There's about a 90% chance I won't be doing the tank of Polypterus. Just a thought for the future I guess lol

I agree with the above

Never had a problem with mixing them and also by having the smaller reedfish in there as well

It would make an interesting tank as you could have a couple of top level fish as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back