Polyfilter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether its worth my while to go down this route. I did some browsing on Google, got the basics

These are my questions if poly filter using peeps dont mind giving me some time here

EDIT: i dont have big fish (well not big right now), biggest in terms of body mass, probably my Senegal Bichirs at about 7" or so.

1. It will be for a variety of 300 litre tanks (tropical). These are running with Eheim 2028's. Whats the best place for this stuff to go? In the external or shall i use a Fluval 4+ internal (1000 lph)

2. Do you think it's likely to remove plant fertliser? I am guessing it would? One of my 300 litre tanks is a massively planted community

3. Does it remove all the things something like Seachem would (chlorine, chloramine etc). Not that this is a deal breaker at all

4. Any one care to make a prediction on how often i would need to replace one in a 300 litre (i know its asking you to guess)

5. Please see this, would this be the "normal" price?

Standard Polyfilter 200mm * 100mm
Breeder Polyfilter (Equivalent to 6 Standard) 300mm * 300mm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Polyfilter Standard
Price: £11.99 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Polyfilter Breeder Pack
Price: £49.95 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

i know before i start that lots of people are going to say use carbon is just as good ITS NOT

i use 4 x sheets of standard polyfilter every 3 weeks on my tank and the water is tip top even with the amount of fish i have

based on my tank and your tank 300l i would say 1 x sheet of standard will last 1 month

you can get it for £74 for 10 sheets from livingseas

it will remove everything

i do add the seachem prime to the tank before filling the tank back up with water changes and it seams ok

it removes all heavy organics so it works like a proteim skimmer

unlike carbon it doesnt let anything back into the water after you take a sheet out you can sqeeze it and only clean water comes out

polyfilter is the best thing since sliced bread

its expencive but its dam good i would recomend it to anyone

you have seen how packed my tank is and how clean the water is i think its all down to the polyfilter B)

Thanks Richard, yep, your tank was crystal

I could live with £7.40 per month per tank, if you reckon one sheet per month, like you said to me before, you can tell when it needs replacing from the colour i believe and with it not leaching back, you cant lose can you?

i know carbon is cr*p, good for a couple of days lol

i can get it cheaper than £7.40 per sheet if you want i buy 100 sheet at a time and it last 1yr :D

the 1st sheet you use may run out faster as it has alot more heavy organics to remove but the 2nd sheet will be better

it changes color to tell you what its removeing but mine are just black after 3 weeks so thats telling me heavy organics

i can get it cheaper than £7.40 per sheet if you want i buy 100 sheet at a time and it last 1yr :D

the 1st sheet you use may run out faster as it has alot more heavy organics to remove but the 2nd sheet will be better

it changes color to tell you what its removeing but mine are just black after 3 weeks so thats telling me heavy organics

cheaper the betterm but i cant really bulk buy too much, i will try it out, i am sure i wont be disappointed

what do you think? run it from an internal? or better in external, thanks for the tip about first one maybe needs replacing sooner than normal.

i would put it in the internal

buy 2 x sheets and see how you get on you should see a big improvement in the water after 48hrs

As T1 said its the muts nuts I use 4 sheets every 3-4 weeks you can tell when it needs changing as you can see your water turn less crystal. Its very good stuff it will strip all chemicals out of the tank and keep your water mint there are various pictures on here of mine and T1`s tank showing how good polyfilter is. I pay £6.20 a sheet and do not need to buy in bulk I can buy 1 at a time for £6.20 mate.

Here is a link to a thread to show hw clear our water is.
http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/22...Drinking-Water/

Yep and seen T1 tank in person, so i know what it can do.

I dont keep big messy fish, but at the end of the day this stuff is proven and i am willing to spend an addtional £15 on my tanks, then why not, thats what i think.

Does it give you a little more peice of mind about using straight tap-water? Or you mostly like it for the effect it has on the water quality (in terms of viewing the tank i mean).

I still plan on doing my regular large and regular water changes

i still use seachem prime

i just like the super clean water look

right, well cheapest i seen on e-bay is £6.40 + £0.49 postage for x1

I get the feeling from here and another forum is this stuff is a bit like a going from Dial-Up to Broadband, once you do it you wont go back :good:

exactly right
its the sort of thing you never you needed until you try it and see the difference it makes

everyone thinks their water is clean until they try polyfilter :hey:

after 3 weeks i can see the water going down hill and its time to change it nothing wrong with nitrites or amonia it just doesnt look as fresh

If it strips everything out of the water does that include ferts, etc?

If it strips everything out of the water does that include ferts, etc?

thats what i was wondering, but i wont be using it in my Planted Community, i like the idea of that tank maintaining it's self more (with the normal filtration and water changes of course), i am sure the poly-filter would rob the plants of some stuff, and i've worked very hard to get a good planted set-up without co2 and in quite hard water! I wont risk the polyfilter in that set-up

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back