Polka Dotted Loaches

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cooky_luvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone else have these guys? I just picked them up yesterday. Interesting little fish :) I watched on of them swim against the current of the bubble wall, let it carry him up. Then he spent about 5 minutes "skimming" along the surface of the water. Looked almost like a water bug..lol. Anyone seen them do this before? It's really fun to watch :)

nemacheilus_corica1_large.jpg

Picture from loaches.com
Nemacheilus corica

P.S. Anyone know how big they get? When I look them up I can't find much info.

The correct taxa is Schistura corica although Nemacheilus was the original taxa
they max out at 4.2cm. apart from that there is nothing else as to pH etc.
I suspect they are like all loaches of this grounp, prefer sand and cooler waters with a good fast flow.

Stunning loach, how many do you have?

The correct taxa is Schistura corica although Nemacheilus was the original taxa
they max out at 4.2cm. apart from that there is nothing else as to pH etc.
I suspect they are like all loaches of this grounp, prefer sand and cooler waters with a good fast flow.

Stunning loach, how many do you have?
Wow they stay pretty small then, I think mine are probably full grown. I have 4 so I'm glad they don't get huge :)

P.S. I wish I could get some pics of mine, but they are >so< fast lol

These are certainly schisturas as TheWolf said...no polka-dots, the term is usually used for B.Kubotai.

I have six schisturas of a different species (see the profile for Schistura Poculi on this site on mine); while there are *many* different schistura species the following seems to apply to most:
You want slightly lower temp (71F-72F is probably ideal), some current, some large stones in the tank (resting places).
They do fine with 75F (in my tank), but this is not recommended.
And I have a flat area on one of the driftwood pieces which they like to rest on.

I would be a bit concerned about the sharp gravel...they may move pretty fast on it and cut the fins. Would be better to have sand and a few large rounded stones.

Otherwise, they are pretty similar to most Botia.

Nice find, btw, I'd love to have a few of these too....

Most reactions

trending

Back