Polar Bear Better Off Dead?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The animal rights activist who said ""Each time his keeper leaves him, and he can't follow, he will die a little."
I know, is that the same publicity grabbing fool Frank Albrecht who initially insisted that the cub should be but to sleep and interestingly changed his opinion the same day after seeing the publics response?
Also claimed that it would be cruel to keep it alive because it wouldn't be natural!
Who said nature wasn't cruel?
How do these people even get their opinions aired?
Vancouver i'm 99% sure they have decided not to kill it.

The animal rights activist who said ""Each time his keeper leaves him, and he can't follow, he will die a little."
I know, is that the same publicity grabbing fool Frank Albrecht who initially insisted that the cub should be but to sleep and interestingly changed his opinion the same day after seeing the publics response?
Also claimed that it would be cruel to keep it alive because it wouldn't be natural!
Who said nature wasn't cruel?
How do these people even get their opinions aired?
Vancouver i'm 99% sure they have decided not to kill it.

I totally agree- i used to be on forum where a similar animal rights activist dwelt who also believed that the keeping of any animal in captivity should banned (which was ironic since this guy kept two dogs), from pets, zoo's, farms etc. He even likened animals kept in captivity to the slave trade and slavery itself.
Nature/The wild is not some heaven for animals where they are free from any suffering- there is the constant threat of desease, starvation, predators etc.
I believe that as long as the animal in question is well and properly cared for, healthy and happy in its environment and lifestyle, then there is nothing wrong with it.
Also, i believe that places like zoo's do have a very important place in wildlife conservation and learning more about animals- a lot of our knowledge on the breeding and lives of many animals has come about from keeping them in captivity where they are safe and can be more easily observed and studied. More and more zoo's now days are running breeding programs for all sorts of animals whether endangered or not, many of which are becomming ever more successful too as the years go by. Some habitats in the wild are also simply too dangerous for many animals now days due to problems like uncontrollable poaching and pollution problems, many endangered animals live in countries rife with war like civil war where there is no time or money for conservation of wild animals and similar efforts, so zoo's and sancturaries abroad soon become the animals species only hope of an assured survival in the longer term.

:rolleyes:
May i be so bold as to point out a few indiscrepancies in your points?
I doubt, if they were to release Knot (the polar bear) into the wild, it would be into the woods of germany, i agree this would cause problems but it isn't going to happen. Imagine seeing that during your picnic :hyper: "WTF!! Run...." Polar bears are always attracted to humans and livestock in their natural environment due to the long periods in which they have to go without food. But luckily human settlements are few and far between. The same happens with other bears living near populated areas all over the world, no food? Find a house and the tasty contents of its rubbish bin or the local farm and its yummy sheep.
I'm not too sure where you see pandas roaming round the streets either, though i suppose its possible. But if i saw any domesticated bear roaming about (with its handler) i'd be happy to walk past (god this is getting surreal), but if it was on its own i'd assume the worst no matter the species and dissapear fast........
Ummm... as for the lions, oddly enough theres a recent example that counters your point about military style enclosures; looking for a link but i can't find the story anywhere. Its a bloke in one of the countries of the former eastern bloc who lives with an adolescent male lion, he even takes it to be fed treats at the local school and is a minor celebrity in his own country.
To be honest i don't think they are even considering releasing Knot anymore.....
He will be used for breeding and kept away from ihis natural home where he would have an almost guaranteed death.

I can see where they're coming from, but I definately think they should be spending their time protesting about more worthwhile things- whaling, poaching, cruelty to domestic animals etc. They seem worried he will be seen as 'a pet'- while obviously a tonne of polar bear isn't exactly a poodle, being tame is hardly a capital crime. After all, I believe there are more tigers in America than in the wild- many states allow them to be kept as pets, and a lot of them certainly won't have been hand raised. A tame polar bear, even if not *that* tame, obviously allows a lot of insight into polar bear anatomy and behaviour (although not as much, not being raised by bears). Things like growth measurements can be compared with wild bears. It's also unusual from a care point of view- how does one successfully hand raise a bear, and care for it as it gets older? It's a learning experience for the keepers. I understand the dangers when he wants to mate, but could that not be solved by neutering? After all, it's used on dogs, cats and suchlike to great effect, and again, it's a learning experience.

"I understand the dangers when he wants to mate, but could that not be solved by neutering?"

I hope they use good anaesthetic,

vet; "it wasn't me Knut!" :no:

knut; "grrrr" :crazy:

EDIT:ps; papers say he's specifically being kept for breeding so its not going to happen.

Hand rearing polar bears is different from hand rearing panda bears. You don't run screaming when you see a panda bear coming towards you on the street.

Panda bears are actually quite vicious as well, as is probably any wild animal, but there have been panda bear attacks in the zoos in China, I think that if people saw a baby panda bear they probably wouldn't bee too fearful, but an adult I think I would be just as fearful as if it were a polar bear.

On the issue at hand, I really don't think the bear should be euthanized. I agree with whoever said they can rehabilitate the bear to be 'one' with other polar bears. I think that if they start to do that it will probably be soon, so that he can get used to them ore and more. Don't get me wrong, I am no zookeeper.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back