poeye - is it fatal?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

clutterydrawer

where is my mind?
Reaction score
I know you are all sick of my paranoia over my fish but I am 99% certain one of them has popeye. Iwas jsut wondering if it's usually fatal, or if it jsut maeks them ill, or what?

I'm pretty sure my water quality is ok but I'm gonna test it in a minute, do some water changes and if that doesnt help, start medicating... :(

Popeye is not a disease in itself but a symptom of other problems, normally an internal bacterial infection. mostly by the time popeye is noticable its often too late.
Try using a broad range anti-bacterial medication and hope that you've noticed it in time to do any good.

Could it be eye cloud? It forms a foggy bubble around the eye that sort of looks like the eye is protruding from the socket. I treated with Maracyn (which I believe also works for Popeye) and he was better within 3 days.

Keep us posted.

A couple months ago, one of my female guppies had a bad case of popeye in both of her eyes. I immediatly seperated her and treated her with Jungle Fungus Clear and she was better overnight. :)

I had a bloodfin tetra which had popeye. I have to admit I did think he was going to die. I found increasing the water changes helpped lot and the popeye went away after 2/3 weeks. I did use metaflex. nothing else.

like wolf said it is an infection internal bacterial infection. You may want to drop the temp slightly to help reduce bacterical growth.

My research told me you must catch this early - otherwise the fish may lose the eye and worst may die so act fast

cya Jason

I just lost my bristlenose to popeye, it was dreadfull and so scray to look at :( poor thing. I noticed it as I went to bed and by the morning she was gone :(

I've done whole lot of water changes and the eyes are nearly back to normal

he doesnt seem ill in the slightest :unsure:

however one of my others has lost most of its tail...ARGH.

Most reactions

Back