Plywood tank, tankmates?

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone glad to be back,
So the plywood tank is underway now and I think I've ran through every american cichlid under the sun trying to find my favourite combos that will actually work well.. I was at first thinking peacock bass but not gonna let my inner impulses get the better of my fishes well being as this would be a challenge due to their huge sizes. I wanna try and pull off a different approach and go all american cichlid rather than mix in catfish and dithers because as challenging as it might be I'm up for it and with a tank I can actually change the size of with a few extra pieces of plywood and some thicker glass I may aswell. What I have in mind was a single tiger oscar with 5 satanoperca daemon and still up in the air which other cichlids to go for really if any.. Tank size 180 gals but could even go bigger if I had too at the min still at framework stage so can easily extend. Going for length opposed to width although keeping the oscar turning in mind going for an 80cm width so plenty of space in that department. Length at the moment we're at 180cm but again can go to 220cm if need be. When I have a much better footprint and further into the project I will share pictures but currently progress is halted as I'm juggling work, college and personal stuff to be sorted beforehand but any suggestions? very excited to share this project with you thanks for reading!

Luke

hi!
i dont think exposing plywood to fish is a good idea, unless you have some sort of lining?
cool

hi!
i dont think exposing plywood to fish is a good idea, unless you have some sort of lining?
cool
The inside of plywood tanks are usually sprayed/painted with some sort of water resistant liquid - this will protect the wood from moisture.

Hey everyone glad to be back,
So the plywood tank is underway now and I think I've ran through every american cichlid under the sun trying to find my favourite combos that will actually work well.. I was at first thinking peacock bass but not gonna let my inner impulses get the better of my fishes well being as this would be a challenge due to their huge sizes. I wanna try and pull off a different approach and go all american cichlid rather than mix in catfish and dithers because as challenging as it might be I'm up for it and with a tank I can actually change the size of with a few extra pieces of plywood and some thicker glass I may aswell. What I have in mind was a single tiger oscar with 5 satanoperca daemon and still up in the air which other cichlids to go for really if any.. Tank size 180 gals but could even go bigger if I had too at the min still at framework stage so can easily extend. Going for length opposed to width although keeping the oscar turning in mind going for an 80cm width so plenty of space in that department. Length at the moment we're at 180cm but again can go to 220cm if need be. When I have a much better footprint and further into the project I will share pictures but currently progress is halted as I'm juggling work, college and personal stuff to be sorted beforehand but any suggestions? very excited to share this project with you thanks for reading!

Luke
Sounds like a cool project! :good:

Have you seen this video?

The inside of plywood tanks are usually sprayed/painted with some sort of water resistant liquid - this will protect the wood from moisture.

Sounds like a cool project! :good:

Have you seen this video?
woooooOw. i wanted to seal my wine barrel but people reccomended the pond cover

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back