Plumbing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JJ1234567

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want to use all pvc for my plumbing when I do my next tank, and I was wondering. In aquarium uses, what do you use to hold it together? can you still use purple primer and pvc cement? just curious. also, I plan on using a Rio 2100 as my return pump...anyone heard anything bad about them?

I want to use all pvc for my plumbing when I do my next tank, and I was wondering. In aquarium uses, what do you use to hold it together? can you still use purple primer and pvc cement? just curious. also, I plan on using a Rio 2100 as my return pump...anyone heard anything bad about them?

I use the clear primer with the clear heavy duty PVC glue, works great. Don't use Rios in high head pressure environments, they are good circulation pumps, but VERY bad return pumps (many bad stories out there about them frying and killing whole tanks with a horrible oil/ash cloud) I would use something like a mag drive pump, ehiem, or dolphin pump (many other options as well) if you want to go with a submersible pump. Make sure you don't get another of the many brands of pumps made by TAAM corporation (the makers of RIO) for your return pump.

Depends on the piping. If you use Spa-Flex (good idea for large systems with huge pumps as kills vibration noise almost to zero) you use pvc cleaner and either "Rain n Shine" or "Flex pvc glue". Otherwise I used the purple primer and medium cement for all my hard pvc.

Ok... I upgraded my pump to a mag drive 9.5 Im running it inline instead of submerged. So my sump will be drilled on the side, and the 3/4 inch pipe will run into the pump. From there it will go out and up to the main tank where it will T with one branch going to the display tank, the other going to the over head pod fuge. Inside the main tank the line will be going out two holes. Up in the pod fuge the line will go in with a simple overflow of 3/4 inch back the the main tank. I had originally wanted to run half inch up to the fuge, but cannot find someone that can drill a hole for half inch bulkheads. The question I have is do you think the 3/4's will create too much movement for a fuge?

Just put a ball valve to slow down the water or use adapters to go from 3/4 to 1/2 after the bulk heads.

Also keep a close eye on that Mag if your using it inline. They are known to be leakers. Both of mine did and I had to add a bead of silicone around the cover to keep them sealed. I am dreading the day I have to take the covers off to clean the impellers.

so do you think I might just be better off submerging it? anyone else think so? Which is better, submerged or inline?

My honest opinion is to go with an ehiem if you want to go with an external option, the reason I recommended a mag drive was because I thought you were going to go with a submerged pump. It is a good idea to run an external pump, so in your case I would go with an eheim.

Probably better off saving yourself some headaches and just put the pump submerged, to many people complaining about their mag drives leaking when ran externally.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back