Pleco Questions

The Other Lebowski

New Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
1. I really would like to get a pleco or a similar fish. Which particular kind is suitable for an 84L (24USG) planted community tank?

2. I understand a common pleco would be too big for that. I've heard of Ancistrus, would that be a better choice? Or perhaps even something more suitable?

3. As I understand it, plecos poop a lot. Do they really? Does their cleaning benefit outweigh their polluting contribution?

4. I have sand. Is that suitable for a pleco?

5. Is there any benefit in getting a pair?

Any advise or opinions would be appreciated.
 
If you go to the Pleco section of this Forum there is a pinned list with dozens of small (under 8 inches/20cm) species of plecos. Lots to choose from, from cheap easy to find bristlenose to more exotic expensive ones.

Not all plecos eat algae, some are omnivoews/carnivores (aain check above list of species). Also algae eating should be supplemented by pleco sinking pellets and fresh veg .

Yes they do poo a lot but worth the frequent water changes as plecos are such endearing fish with real character. I love mine.
 
If you are getting a pleco just to "clean" the tank, then don't get one. Never buy a fish solely for what it can do for you. However, if you like plecos, then by all means get one!
 
If you are getting a pleco just to "clean" the tank, then don't get one. Never buy a fish solely for what it can do for you. However, if you like plecos, then by all means get one!

it's the second of the two. i barely have any algae and my corries keep the bottom spotless as it is. but i like variety in the tank and like to cover all levels of the tank. the previous poster referred me to the pleco part of the forum but i didn't find answers to most of my questions.
 
1. I really would like to get a pleco or a similar fish. Which particular kind is suitable for an 84L (24USG) planted community tank?
2. I understand a common pleco would be too big for that. I've heard of Ancistrus, would that be a better choice? Or perhaps even something more suitable?
3. As I understand it, plecos poop a lot. Do they really? Does their cleaning benefit outweigh their polluting contribution?
4. I have sand. Is that suitable for a pleco?
5. Is there any benefit in getting a pair?
Any advise or opinions would be appreciated.

Really an ancistrus (such as the common Bristlenose) or any plec that stays under abou t4" would be ok. Bristlies can get larger but there are many now selectively bred smaller that stay around 4".

They DO poop A LOT more than pretty much any other fish you could fit in your tank and if you are considering one then have a close look at whether your filteration can handle i big jump in bioload.

They don't really clean - some eat some algae but as already said, get a fish because you like it and if it is suitable not for a 'job'

Sand is perfect, a plec will love messing it up though!

A pair could be fun but in reality I don't think you have space.

Plecs can be very fun fish to keep if you are prepared for the messiness, in fact they are quite addictive :)
 
1. I really would like to get a pleco or a similar fish. Which particular kind is suitable for an 84L (24USG) planted community tank?

Yes there are a few plecos that can work in a 25g tank there are some absolutely gorgeous plecs that stay small for you to keep. A good place to look is http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16&start=240&genus_id=0 full list of all the L numbers good pictures and a size guide have a look and see. I would look for plecs that max out at 4inches or smaller.

2. I understand a common pleco would be too big for that. I've heard of Ancistrus, would that be a better choice? Or perhaps even something more suitable?

Yeah commons are far too big but unfortunately available :sad:. Ansistricus or BNs as they are known are readily available but various species mean that the size range is between 4-6 inches. But like I say there are tons that could work for you it just depends on what look you like, for example which pattern or colour, fin shape, body shape and behavior.

3. As I understand it, plecos poop a lot. Do they really? Does their cleaning benefit outweigh their polluting contribution?

Yes yes they do poo a lot :sick:. Depending on the species they wont really clean up much they might graze on algae but might not clean it. Some plecs are carnivious so wont even touch it. I agree with other posts get them because you enjoy them, they are a responsibility in the aspect that they are messy so really take up your stocking list.

4. I have sand. Is that suitable for a pleco?

Sand should be okay, they might toss it around a bit but as long as it is well washed I imagine it will be fine, I have gravel at the moment but I want sand in my new tank. I've not heard of plecs and sand being bad other than it shows up the poo badly, but if you have cories them zipping about will break it up and it should get sucked up by the filter.

5. Is there any benefit in getting a pair?

It depends on the species some are intolerant of others, others are quite gregarious. At the moment I have just singles but on reflection I think I would have preferred a group but that is just me. Most plecs are not easy to breed but if you want to try to breed them there are some that are possible in community tanks.


Plecs are as diverse as tetras and cichlids. Have a look through the L number library and see what you like :) It should be able to help us help you make a good decision for your tank :)

Wills
 
YES THEY POOP A LOT! They do not do much cleaning some are ok cleaners like the BN pleco. But for the most part you should get a pleco because you like them and want to have one in your tank. Not because you want them to keep it clean.

Pitbull pleco, Bristle Nose pleco, rubber nose pleco are some of the best small cleaners. But still they should not be bought for cleaning.
 
Yes you can get small plecs, but they are more expensive, i think their are a couple of breeds that i know about, one is a golden nugget plec and the other i think is a lion plec, or has the word lion in it :lol:

I have a leopard sailfin plec, called plecenormous, and at the moment he is in a 3ft waiting to go into a 5ft that is being set up. I got him knowing that i would have to upgrade tank size as he grew. But his cleaning surely outweighs his pooping skills. I think plecs are fantastic fish and as far as i have researched i believe they prefer to be solitary unless you have a large aquarium.

They will probably try and eat the roots of your plants as well.

You can get other algae eating fish such as chinese sucker loaches (which can get quite big) and the likes. Just reasearch as much as you can, there are many good websites around. If you type in 'small algae eating fish' on google it may take you to the right answer. :good:
 
Gold nuggets are actually a large plec getting between 9-12 inches depending on L number and are quite territorial with other plecs. Not sure of the Lion plec...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top