Pleco Or Ottos?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Was asking if you have wood since they need it to help with digestion (?)
Believe I've heard of them going up to 6"

Is there any reason you want fish to remove the algae and not snails?

I have snails too, two nerites and a black apple snail, and about a million mts. 

OP, what kind of algae do you want to be removed? Imho the algae eating fish is a nice and simple concept invented by the LFS which nearly never works, because all the fish prefer the food you add to algae and they will only eat quantities of algae if you starve them. Otos live in groups, so for your tank size imho you should add at least ten of them. Furthermore, I don't think they will much like beeing bullied by the kribs. There should be no problem in adding a BN, but I simply would not expect it too eat too many algae.

55 gallons is way to small for a common pleco!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the rest:

- Otos are probably one of best algae eaters, but probably will need suplimental feeding as they can be a bit delicate. Needs to be kept in groups.

- plecos potentially get 18" long! And can be really lazy. Not suited to this set up AT ALL!

-bristlenose are a good option, but often become lazy with age, only taking algae discs and prepared foods. And they poo a lot, but generally sit in on stop ALL DAY, so the poo isn't really an issue IMO, just focus a but of gravel vacuuming each water change here.

no one Told her to get a common... BN stay small. And would be fine in a 55...

here is what I got today! better pictures after they settle in

The lady who helped me told me that this pleco was maybe a hybrid, because of the spots, I forget what she said it may have been mixed with but boy he's cute.  Assured me that he'd still end up around the same max size.  And this snail is huge, so I had to get it!  Added some more plants as well as two small pieces of driftwood, it's lookin good in there!

Attachments

• 20131018_173229.jpg
    20131018_173229.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20131018_173318.jpg
    20131018_173318.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 123
How did you acclimate it?

float, I"m gonna try drip next time.  I net them out of the bag too cause I don't like adding store water to my tank

That sucks! I'm sorry. I hope you have better luck if you decide to get another one..

yeah, from a different store though, but I bet I won't find one that's all speckled and cute  =(

round two, this one is having a bit of a stint in the timeout bucket before heading to tank to get him used to my water.

Most reactions

Back