Pleco identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jacobm

Reaction score
Are both of these common plecos ? I think they will soon outgrow my tank so I will likely rehome them to a larger tank . Are they the same variety or different ? Markings are similar. They are each about 4-5 inches long . I can’t tell if I have a male and female and what the odds of them breed are …they are in a 29 gallon tank and I know I’ll have to get some kinda cave/ terra cotta pot for them to lay eggs . If they can breed and likely cool I’d keep some of the babies and rehome the plecos to a bigger tank if they are indeed common plecos as they will get too big for my tank in the next year or so .
IMG_2730.jpeg
IMG_2723.jpeg

Thank you! I will be rehoming one next week to a larger tank and get some 2 smaller baby bristlenose plecos for a better long term. I will keep one of the commons for a few more months until the smaller plecos grow . I also have other fish in the tank so i need to be aware of the water quality etc.

They are really skinny. What are you feeding them and how often do you feed them?

I just got a couple of weeks ago as they came with the aquarium along with a cory , clown loach, two red eyed tetras and a guppy. I have been feeding them algae wafers daily and they were likely neglected before i got them as the aquarium was filthy when i got it. Plan is to rehome both of them soon (one right away) and possibly add some a few more corys and clown loaches. I also have a smaller and taller tank i will likely setup .

Second picture is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. First picture looks Pterygoplichthys too and could be the same. We’d need pictures from the side to ID them accurately.

They’re both very underfed with sunken bellies. They need food fast.

Second picture is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. First picture looks Pterygoplichthys too and could be the same. We’d need pictures from the side to ID them accurately.

They’re both very underfed with sunken bellies. They need food fast.
Isn't the first one a gibbiceps? (patternwise)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back