plec

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cavafish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my angeicus plec has just this evening emerged from hiding and is sitting on top of the piece of bogwood it normally hides under. This is NOT normal.

His/her tail is a bit ragged (the viens have seperated like a feather does), and the base of the tail where it joins the body is a red colour. The left hand side looks like it is going white in patches.

Wot is it and wot do I do????????????

I've only had this plec a year (to the day nearly) and I dont want it to die.

Everyone else in the tank is fine and the plec looked fine last night when he came out for food..........

Please help, Cava :fish:

White in patches do you mean on the tail.

no, on the side of the body. sorry.

Blink. Didn't know I could get so worried about a fish before now.

no, on the side of the body. sorry.

Blink. Didn't know I could get so worried about a fish before now.

Sorry typing error meant fluffy look at the link above.

no, not like that. this is likea disclouration rather than anything on the surface of the skin. Like when you or I are off colour and go a funny grey colour in the face....

the 'spines' of the tail fin seperating is bothering me the most as another plec that died had all its fins like this on that occasion. i never did find out what it died of to be sure.

You will need to use anti internal bacteria med by interpet, Is he rubbing his self on things.

Also is there any red streaking in the tail, and can yyou post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

doesnt appear to be rubbing and doesn't appear to have red in tail - we are lucky, hes moved and all I can see now is his tail.

just done test on water:

pH = 7.2
KH = 6°d
GH = >14°d
NITRITE = 0
NITRATE = 100

no measure for ammonia at the moment as not got a test.

The high nitrate reading is normal for this set up - Ive never been able to get it much lower than this, even after a 25% water change.

P.S. weekly water change due tomorrow.

the white/grey on the body looks like a loss of colour. It is quite bad. has blanked out his lovely spots.

Would take a piccie but camera is U/S DOH!

Your nitrates are high do an immediate water change to fetch them down, do a few daily water changes, how often do you gravel vac, and when did you last maintain your filter.

water changes 25% weekly

filter is standard juwel one and sponges changed religiously as per instructions. white pre-filter changed weekly with water

I have tried doing daily water changes on several occasions over the past year to try to get the nitrate down - it never seems to really work and always climbs again afterwards within a day or 2. I must admit that it does my nut in trying to sort it.

gravel vac is done every water change it seems pointless not to apart from the fact that I cant stand seeing them sift through poo....

What is your tap reading in nitrates.

Most reactions

Back