Plec Veggies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish_4_life

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick one I have a good size plec and keep reading online they love cucumber and other veggies, What ever I put into the tank for him he dosent touch dosent even go near it. Is there na special way or time to feed them etc?

Thanks 

Dan 

Hope someone helps I've started putting cucumber in but they just ignore it, my Amano shrimp however seem to love it

My Flash is a bit like that, too. It seems he's quite happy just chewing off whatever he finds on his bogwood and doesn't even go for peas, which EVERYBODY loves...

Keep trying with different types of blanched veggies until he sees something he likes!

I put in the end of a cucumber and they ignored it then put in a slice about 5mm deep on the end of a fork and the next morning all the centre had gone and little nibbles in the dark green bit :)

I tried feeding my BN zucchini the other day and he totally ignored it. I'm going to try again tho and I would like to try peas as well. Do you just let the peas float at the surface? I used to have an apple snail that would eat lettuce like crazy, not sure if BN's like it tho, I haven't tried with mine yet. 

fish_4_life said:
Hi All,

Just a quick one I have a good size plec and keep reading online they love cucumber and other veggies, What ever I put into the tank for him he dosent touch dosent even go near it. Is there na special way or time to feed them etc?

Thanks 

Dan 

Do you know what kind of pleco you own?  If it's actually a species that enjoys fresh veggies, I'd recommend feeding it right before you turn off the lights at night.  Remove what's left in the morning.

FriendlyFriendlyFish said:
I tried feeding my BN zucchini the other day and he totally ignored it. I'm going to try again tho and I would like to try peas as well. Do you just let the peas float at the surface? I used to have an apple snail that would eat lettuce like crazy, not sure if BN's like it tho, I haven't tried with mine yet.
You need to take the skin off the blanched pea first and then it'll just sink itself and probably break up as it goes.

Yes its a common pleco. 

Ill give that ago tomoorow night and see how I get on,

Thanks All for comments 

Dan

I have a common, tried to feed him cucumber, the only thing that ate it was the guppies. Lol.

i have found it takes a while for plecos to show interest in cucumber but once they get the taste they go made for it.

my previous tank i had a L141 and it didnt go near it for ages but then one day it tried it and from then on soon as you put section in it would make a beeline for it.

my current tank i have a little young green phantom which hasent gone for it yet but seams to be showing intereset in it,think my 4 over excited panda garra are keeping it away as hes well small at mo.

also found a less fresh cucumber gets more interest

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back