Please Think Twice Before You Get A Cat...

We were considering getting two cats once our dog departs for the great outdoor kennel in the sky, but now we have changed our minds.
Ive watched as fledglings are taken from nests in our garden by cats that are obviously well fed but still act on instinct. We had a nest in the tree next to our window with 5 young robins in it, the parents diligently feeding and caring for them. One of the adult robins would follow my husband round the garden as he cleared it and the robin would even sit on his feet to look for grubs. All but one baby flew from that nest which is really sad. The robin we last saw a week or two ago with its tail missing, we fear its been taken by a cat as we havent seen him since.
Now I have my pond, cats from all over the town are queing up to take a pot luck chance at getting a fish.
I used to love cats, now i hate them.

We had a dove hit our front window and my son went out to pick it up. It staggered around the garden obviously stunned but before my son got to it a cat jumped out the bushes and ran down the road with it.

Cats are now regarded as an easy pet for people who work all day. Chuck em out as they can look after themselves, let them in for a couple of hours at night and then chuck them back out again. No need to take it for long walks twice a day.

I dont know what the solution is but if you put a collar on a cat then you risk it being strangled if it gets caught in a bush. It would be nice if they could be taught to hunt just mice and rats but it aint going to happen.
I do know that the populations of some birds arent being replenished each spring as someone mentioned, they are becoming rarer and rarer. Sadly it cant be said of cats.

Sorry for the ramble -_-

I used to love cats, now i hate them.

That's a little too extreme, now you hate cats because they go bye their instincts? What the hell do you think a cat is gonna do if it sees a fish? (It's just like when a fat person sees a cheeseburger! :drool: :lol: )

Something tells me someone is going to get offended by that one :lol:

That's a little too extreme, now you hate cats because they go bye their instincts?
Aye, but the same excuse could be used for a dog that kills a cat, yet in that case people would want the dog PTS.
Frankly, if you can't keep your pet in your own yard, you are endangering other people's pets, being extremely inconsiderate of your neighbors, and frankly being irresponsible. It isn't right that people shouldn't be able to keep outdoor fish, rabbits, or birds in the privacy of their yard because their neighbor's cat's "right" to wander all over creation, pissing in the bushes and attacking pets, takes precedence. People who want an outdoor cat should get catproof fencing (though I hear some cats are still too clever for it) or an enclosure, if not for the obvious reasons of protecting their cat from harm, than because the only place YOUR cat belongs is YOUR yard.
I really wish they'd pass a sort of "leash law" for cats, where a cat caught roaming off of the owner's property earns the owner a fine. Because seriously, how many cats have probably been poisoned or killed because they pissed off the neighbors a little too much? And how many fish and other outdoor small animals have had to die - beloved pets mind you - because of roaming cats? Really, I don't see how cat owners can be so self centered, like only THEIR pet matters. Instinct? Yeah, real cute... keep the fricken instinct in your own back yard; some of us prefer our pets alive.

That's a little too extreme, now you hate cats because they go bye their instincts?
Aye, but the same excuse could be used for a dog that kills a cat, yet in that case people would want the dog PTS.
Frankly, if you can't keep your pet in your own yard, you are endangering other people's pets, being extremely inconsiderate of your neighbors, and frankly being irresponsible. It isn't right that people shouldn't be able to keep outdoor fish, rabbits, or birds in the privacy of their yard because their neighbor's cat's "right" to wander all over creation, pissing in the bushes and attacking pets, takes precedence. People who want an outdoor cat should get catproof fencing (though I hear some cats are still too clever for it) or an enclosure, if not for the obvious reasons of protecting their cat from harm, than because the only place YOUR cat belongs is YOUR yard.
I really wish they'd pass a sort of "leash law" for cats, where a cat caught roaming off of the owner's property earns the owner a fine. Because seriously, how many cats have probably been poisoned or killed because they pissed off the neighbors a little too much? And how many fish and other outdoor small animals have had to die - beloved pets mind you - because of roaming cats? Really, I don't see how cat owners can be so self centered, like only THEIR pet matters. Instinct? Yeah, real cute... keep the fricken instinct in your own back yard; some of us prefer our pets alive.

Actually on the note of cat proof fencing, whats the best stuff to get? Are there any other good deterants?
I ask because,
a. When i stock my new pond i don't want cats killing all the new fish, as they have been known to in my area, and
b. My fiance is tired of cleaning up cat poop left on our lawn.

I went to my lps to ask about this, but the only thing they have to offer was this chemical you put on your lawn to keep cats off it, but obviously i don't want this as it may wash off into the pond when it rains over time.

Tokis I have the same problems too. I can get an electric fence to put round the pond but i dont see why i should pay to protect the pond from other peoples pets, but im going to have to. Anything around the pond is going to make it look ugly as well.

Our dog keeps most cats out the garden and to be honest im scared that she will catch one. I know i dont like them but if a cat comes on to our property and the dog attacks it i would be upset.

I agree with you as well RW about people keeping their animals under control but as far as im aware in this country a cat doesnt have a legal owner so is free to roam, unlike dogs.

Actually on the note of cat proof fencing, whats the best stuff to get? Are there any other good deterants?
I ask because,
a. When i stock my new pond i don't want cats killing all the new fish, as they have been known to in my area, and
b. My fiance is tired of cleaning up cat poop left on our lawn.

I went to my lps to ask about this, but the only thing they have to offer was this chemical you put on your lawn to keep cats off it, but obviously i don't want this as it may wash off into the pond when it rains over time.

Cat proof fencing, it depends how high you want to go. I'd guss anything they have trouble climbing would work, but a normal mesh civer on the pond should shop cats, herons, and whatever other predators you may get getting the fish, and stops and fish jumping out. And isn't too much of an eyesore. As for stopping cats messing in your garden, do a search. There are many natural methods that won't harm your fish, although how effective, I'm not sure.

This has been a long standing problem and it is in no way exagerated that predators like cats have as big an impact on the decline of bird populations in england than modern farming practises;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5026222.stm

So, before you start think "ah, cats are cute and fluffy and i just want to hug one!" line of thought, please understand that these are violent and vicious predators that can kill dozens of small animals a day even when being fed by people, their instinct to kill is massive.

We have 3 cats

The female is 8 years old , never catches a thing .

Youngest male is 3 and catches i would say maybe 1 or 2 mice a week & 1 bird every fortnight , I'm guessing , but i'm not far out .

old male , age not sure , but catches nothing .

I would say They grow out of it & they are all neutered .

Agree 100% with tis , I am a cat lover & when i was in the us visiting relatives , 1 had the cat in the garden on a leash , it seemed happy enough , 1 had her cat indoors , it never went out , it seemed happy enough as well . I am sure if i was over there i would rather have it on a leash or in the house as opposed to being poisond or shot !!1

and the poisoning goes on over here . Don't agree with them being de-clawed though ......

Those wishing to fit cat proof fencing should be aware that within built up areas of England there are laws restricting how high you can go with a garden fence or wall. For a back garden with ajoining neighbours the maximum is 6 feet of solid fencing or wall plus an additional 2 feet of trellis allowed on top of this to form a maxiumum total height of 8 feet, higher fences or walls will requiring planning permission (which is rarely given).

In my professional opinion as a fencer with over 10 years experience the best way to cat proof a garden would be to use 6 foot feather edge fencing with 2 feet of chicken mesh placed above it suspended from a tight wire so as not to provide any stable platforms for a cat to balance on, fix the mesh down to the top of the fence using heavy duty staples with the mesh stapled to the side you want to keep the cat IN, so if it is a neighbours cat you want out staple the mesh on their side of the fence. The vertical slatting of feather edge fencing cuts down on possible claw holds for a climbing cat which should deter all but the most determined feline intruder and two feet of unstable mesh above it should put off even those.

Fot those with ponds there are now infra red activated intruder alarms which set off a sprinkler/water jet in the pond which scares away cats and herons when they trip the alarm.

that is why i got an indoor cat do think twice before getting a cat

Most reactions

Back