Please help!

But you said boiling my gravel vacume won't help so that means it still has bacteria and theres no shop open but wal-mart that sells them and I don't have a car and my parents wont take me now do ill just have to do it in the morning or somthing

Snailguy101 said:
But you said boiling my gravel vacume won't help so that means it still has bacteria and theres no shop open but wal-mart that sells them and I don't have a car and my parents wont take me now do ill just have to do it in the morning or somthing
Huh??? Ammonia is a chemical. It can't be killed, it can only be removed or chemically altered. You boiled your UGF to remove the bacteria from the bird poop. The beneficial bacteria grow in the gravel when you have a UGF.

If you don't have a usable siphon, get out a clean bowl, scoop out ~20% of your water, then re-fill it.

Snailguy101 said:
Wait! O man! Remember that ugf that I said I was going to boil? that was under the bird nest outside? I boild it and soaked it in declorinator for a few hours and used it that day could that have harmed my fish? And how do I get my nitrate and ammoina down?
You just said you boiled a UGF.

If you don't have a UGF, what type of filter to you have on your tank? the more info you give us, the easier it is to help you.

Ok, just read the last post. I would be hesitant to put anything in my tank that had bird poop on it at one time, especially something plastic, as it can absorb chemicals. Until you get to walmart, scoop out some water. It won't clean the gravel, but atleast the ammonia level will go down.

Make sure the filters are turned up all the way. I've turned them down and forgotten about them, and caused mini-cycles that way. Have you done anything to your spounges, such as shake them out in dechlorinated water or rinsed them off in tap water?

Snailguy101 said:
Yea I rince them in tap water why?
[snapback]842962[/snapback]​

When you rinse your filter in tap water, the chlorine will kill off the beneficial bacteria that breaks down the ammonia and nitrite. You rarely need to clean out your filter, only when it becomes so gunked up that water is no longer flowing through it. When this happens, take a bucket of old tank water, then shake out the filter spounge in thhere.

Most reactions

Back