Please help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snailguy101

Moved On
Reaction score
Well I came home today to dead fish.....No reason for it to die no doisease or anything but the wierd thing is that there was only half of it.....I don't get what happened to it.... I checked my water it was fine or tested it whatever...But I had a fish recently die from birth complicatioons In the tank I have |2 apple snails,2 Ramshorn snails ,1 female platie and 1 male molly used to have 3 females total but 2 died.....O and 1 small mystery snail What heppened to my fish!? :byebye:

(you should kinda know this is an emergency section thing by now, but anyways..).
What are your exact recent stats for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites- no point in saying they are good if you don't know them/can't remember them?
Have you used salt in the tank at all recently?
Are there any symtoms or strange behavior the fish have shown recently dead or alive at all as minimal as they may seem?

nitrate is 21 the other stuff is 1 and 0 no salt not sure well the male mollie always bothers them

Snailguy101 said:
nitrate is 21 the other stuff is 1 and 0 no salt not sure well the male mollie always bothers them
What EXACTLY is the other stuff? It really helps when you label the numbers you are throwing up on the internet. Either way, your water stats definately are not ok. Ammonia and nitrIte should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be zero. You need to figure out why our tank either hasn't cycled yet (If I'm not mistaken, you've only been around for a few weeks) or what is sending it into a mini cycle. The water probably killed your fish.

If you are saying you only found half the fish (atleast that is what I think you mean by you only found half of it), fish will eat other dead fish, further spreading disease within your tank.

Yes I have cycled my tank...Fishless cycle And just so you know Im not new to fish keeping :) Well maybe I have been keeping them for a year now

Snailguy101 said:
Yes I have cycled my tank...Fishless cycle And just so you know Im not new to fish keeping :) Well maybe I have been keeping them for a year now
Can you post exactly what the other stats are then please? Its important to know.

Snailguy - if you have ANY ammonia or nitrite in your tank, you are either experiencing a mini-cycle OR your tank was not totally cycled. Either way, you do have ammonia, there IS a problem.

Have you done anything to cause the mini-cyle, adding several fish at once, getting a little carried away when cleaning your gravel (if you have a UGF), rinsing out your spounge, etc?

Wait! O man! Remember that ugf that I said I was going to boil? that was under the bird nest outside? I boild it and soaked it in declorinator for a few hours and used it that day could that have harmed my fish? And how do I get my nitrate and ammoina down?

When you have a UGF, the bacteria lives in your gravel, not on the filter itself. So boiling it wouldn't have killed the bacteria. However, you have to be careful when doing water changes not to over-vacume/clean the bottom of the tank, or you will remove too much of the beneficial bacteria.

When you are doing the daily water changes, I'd only vacume your gravel every week at the max, just use the siphon to drian your tank.

A ugf isn't going to be adequete for all those fish, you need to invest in a proper filter as ugf's are more for adding extra oxygen to the tank.
Water changes with dechlorinator will lower ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back