Please Help With Clown Fish

OscarCichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an empty 10 gallon tank. I would like to keep One clown fish. Coral/Anemone (anything for the clown to live in) and sand. It has an AquaClear 200 but only standard 20 watt lighting. I know i need a new light but im not sure about the filter. If anyone could recomend what i should get for this tank i would apreciate it. I am not a complete newbie to salt water but i am fairly new.

10 gallons is a very small tank. If you really want to get clownfish, you may want to consider getting something a bit bigger. You would want to get an anemone for a clownfish, but they are harder to take care of and they require much better water conditions than clownfish.

As for the filter, it really depends on the tank and your budget. Have you read any books on saltwater fishkeeping?

Oscar, An affair with saltwater should not be started with a 10gal tank.

Get yourself at least a 20, and skilter makes an adequate filter for what you are interested in doing. A couple of power compacts for lighjting, and you should do ok.

one question and be honest.. are u gettin a single clown because one of ur kids wants a "nemo" fish??!

Contrary to popular belief, clowns do not require coral or anemones to reside in. They do perfectly well without them. :)

Tank raised clowns a lot of times don't even recognize coral or anemones as homes and must be trained to house themselves in them.

A large shell (like a melon shell) with a good sized opening makes a comfortable clown house.

We've got a terracotta half jug in our marine tank for our two clowns. They love it, they moved in the day after we put it in there and are always hovering in the 'doorway'. One day we would like an anenome but its probably years away at the moment, when we are a bit more confident about keeping one alive.

Also I thought it may interest you to know that the yellow tang absolutely loves the jug too!! Weird :fun:

Sharon

mike1020 said:
one question and be honest.. are u gettin a single clown because one of ur kids wants a "nemo" fish??!
and whats wrong with that :)

i actually am seriously considering expanding my interest into the hobby with a marine tank, which will have some of the 'nemo' fish in it, which my daughter would absolutely love.

although space (and money) is at a premium so it would be a smaller tank rather than a big long aquarium

unless it was in a room where it wouldnt actually be seen much - but i cant see the point in that - i like my aquarium to be easily viewable

that said, any advice on maximum weight you would consider placing on an upstairs floor? 100-200kg acceptable?
wooden floorboards over wooden joists
would be adjacent to a supporting wall, perpendicular to the joists

no idea
if i did do it it would be as long as i can afford
just cautious of placing a tank upstairs for fear of it crashing through them one night
so if any structural engineers out there have some basic guidelines id appreciate it

As long as its under 75 gallons (but most floors can support even more) you shouldn't have to worry about it. You wouldn't worry about your couch with five people on it crashing through the floor, would you?

FrankSlapperinni said:
As long as its under 75 gallons (but most floors can support even more) you shouldn't have to worry about it. You wouldn't worry about your couch with five people on it crashing through the floor, would you?
i always wonder about such analogies. no you wouldn't, but then, they won't be sitting on that couch 24/7 for many years, so there isn't a constant weight on the one spot..................................... wonder is anyone here as kept a big tank and a second floor for years without issue......................... i khnow my current aparment is old (i can hear my downstairs neighbors talking sometimes) and would be worried about evena 55..........................

If there is a disaster (seam gives, etc), there will be that much more damage (2nd floor, 1st floor and anything below). Tank on first floor only damages immediately below the tank and the basement. Tank in basement damages very little.

I'm talking about expense to fix/replace, amount of loss, hit on insurance rates, etc etc.

Most reactions

Back