Please Help! Need Advice To Why My Shubunkin Fantail Is Changing C

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LittleEmma16

Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody could help me, im so worried!

ive had 2 shubunkin fantails for just about 9 years, 6 weeks ago my friend brought me 2 plec's for my birthday, then 2 weeks ago i then brought myself another shubunkin.

now the main issue when i first brought my little shubunkin was the other 2 who are 3 times the size of him attacking him, but 3 days ago i discovered the little one was actually attacking the bigger 2's tails and has ripped them to shreads. so i have since then had to section him off.

my main issue now is that unfortunately my blue shubunkin died yesterday and he had seriously lost alot of his colouring, and would swim along then gradually roll onto his side and stay like that, and from the infomation i have read on the internet i think it could be swim bladder.

now my orange shubunkin who when i first got him changed his colourings to white, has since started getting orange patches back on his body but the bit that concerns me the most is his fins, mainly the bits that are closesest to his body seemed to have also changed colour and now look a orangey/red/pinky colour and also looks to have lost a couple of scales. hes currently got cateracts on both eyes which hes had for a good 5-6 years (it has as been treated but didnt work), because of this hes always swam quite slowly around the tank but has become a customed to being a bottom feeder and very occasionally ventured to the surface. his behaviour in the last 24hours as well as his colour has changed quite drematically and now seems to be swimming quite eractically around the tank and also spending alot of time at the surface but hes not gasping for air, and he also seems to be deliberatly swimming up against the filter and and also the ornaments in the tank.

the only explanation i can think of is that it could be amonia poisening or am i just being over paranoid because my other fish had died?

if anyone can give me any adivce or maybe explain what they think is wrong or if him changing his colour is normal please let me know im so worried im going to loose my other fish and i would be so greatful!

shubunkin fantails? Are your fish like a mix? I've never heard of that. But ok, lets get to the point.
My goldfish have turned lighter in color a few times, and so have other people's. One girl, her orange/gold fantail goldfish turned albino, and other people said: No need to worry about color changing, it's probably a hormone thing if your fish are still young. So I wouldn't worry about it much, UNLESS, they change colors like everyday.

its about a 60letre tank,

my orange shubunkin is now ill and currently swimming on his side, which is exactly what my blue one did before he died so i have a feeling he will die soon :'(

How much water are you changing and how often? If your fish is looking sick, it's always a good idea to do a really big water change. Leave just enough water for the fish to swim upright before refilling with warmed, dechlorinated water.

Give your filter a quick clean in the old tank water to make sure it;s not clogged up. How do you normally clean the filter, btw?

that is normally how i clean the filter in the old tank water [in a seperate bucket tho] i normally change the water every 2/3 weeks and theyve always been fine, i do admit this time had been left slightly longer, i had my water tested last week and was told it was quite bad so i have done 2 big water changes, and i had it retested and it has helped alot, ive been told i need to get some live plants to help absorb the nitrite which is the only thing that is still quite high, but its being sorted out and its on its way back to normal

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back