Please Help Me Diagnose

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thank you again, both of you. I am going to leave her in her tank since she is alone. I also want to finish the current treatment. Iā€™m sure I canā€™t add methylene blue along with the other meds so I either need to cut out the MB it continuethe dips. I must say and many will disagree with me but...
My tanks were all fine while using gravel. Since switching to sand, every single tank with sand has had issues. I am convinced that bad bacteria remains in sand. You can't clean The bottom like you can with gravel. Starting tonight, I am switching out my 5 tanks with sand and going back to gravel substrate. I never had a sick fish until I went to sand. Just my opinion and Iā€™m sticking to it. Again,thanks guys. I hope Sky pulls through this but I do nā€™t know at this point.

This all sounds sensible, I canā€™t comment because sand has never been of interest to me but I imagine itā€™s a lot harder to clean, so what youā€™re saying would make sense. I would recommend using medications for wound healing. Fingers crossed she will get better within time.

Keep in mind that you cannot remove "bad bacteria" from any substrate, be it sand, gravel, mud, whatever. Bacteria attaches to surfaces and I can assure you it is not easy to dislodge.

Unless the sand was "used" from some other tank that was infected, it is not going to have harmful bacteria adhering to it except what occurs within your aquarium.

Perhaps I use bad wording. I feel you canā€™t pick up debris such as food, poop, etc. as well which can contain bad bacteria. Big difference in what I get out of my gravel with my Python as opposed to what Iā€™m able to suck out of the sand. Weā€™ll see in a few months how I feel. Just bought 2 large bags of gravel. Tank #1 coming up. Oh, I do plan on continuing the med regimen along with the dips. Thanks, guys!

Perhaps I use bad wording. I feel you canā€™t pick up debris such as food, poop, etc. as well which can contain bad bacteria. Big difference in what I get out of my gravel with my Python as opposed to what Iā€™m able to suck out of the sand. Weā€™ll see in a few months how I feel. Just bought 2 large bags of gravel. Tank #1 coming up. Oh, I do plan on continuing the med regimen along with the dips. Thanks, guys!

I'm not trying to change your mind about sand/gravel. There is no "bad bacteria" as such. The fish excrement that sinks into the substrate is no worse than the fish themselves. As for sucking it out, you have to be careful because this can impact an essential part of the tanks biological system. De-nitrification is as important as nitrification, and completes the whole cycle. I use the Python in tanks with sand the same as fine gravel, when I use it in the substrate; I tend to leave the substrate alone. I do dig into the sand in my pygmy cory tank because there are newly-hatched fry continuously in that tank and I think I am keeping the sand tidier for them. May not matter here either. But the only time the substrate needs more thorough cleaning such as with the Python is when the tank is overstocked, or otherwise biologically imbalanced. This can be a source of nitrates for example, similar to the filter not being kept clean. But sand or gravel should make no difference.

Ironically, gravel is more harmful than sand, if it is too large. Pea gravel for example can be problematic because the detritus cannot get broken down as effectively as it can in sand. This can cause issues for substrate fish too.

I'm not trying to change your mind about sand/gravel. There is no "bad bacteria" as such. The fish excrement that sinks into the substrate is no worse than the fish themselves. As for sucking it out, you have to be careful because this can impact an essential part of the tanks biological system. De-nitrification is as important as nitrification, and completes the whole cycle. I use the Python in tanks with sand the same as fine gravel, when I use it in the substrate; I tend to leave the substrate alone. I do dig into the sand in my pygmy cory tank because there are newly-hatched fry continuously in that tank and I think I am keeping the sand tidier for them. May not matter here either. But the only time the substrate needs more thorough cleaning such as with the Python is when the tank is overstocked, or otherwise biologically imbalanced. This can be a source of nitrates for example, similar to the filter not being kept clean. But sand or gravel should make no difference.

Ironically, gravel is more harmful than sand, if it is too large. Pea gravel for example can be problematic because the detritus cannot get broken down as effectively as it can in sand. This can cause issues for substrate fish too.
I respect your comments. Food for thought. I always clean deep in my goldfish tanks because they have such a heavy bio-load. Iā€™ll watch how I clean and watch the parameters to get the right balance. Since the majority of bb is in the filter, I think Iā€™ll be alright in switching along with most of the tank water to keep water balanced for fish. I also have extra seeding if I need it. One tank at a time and weā€™ll see how it goes.

Just have a thin layer of sand (10mm or 1/2inch thick) and use a gravel cleaner to go over it. Kink the syphon hose a bit if the sand looks like it is going to be sucked out and gravel clean away.

On a side note, the Python gravel cleaners are not what I consider safe because they encourage people to refill the tank with tapwater that has not been dechlorinated before it goes in the tank. If you use it to drain the tank that is fine but all new water should be free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

-------------------------
As Byron said, bacteria will get on everything including sand or gravel. The only reason I can think of that there would be an issue with the sand is if it was contaminated before you got it.

If you need to sterilise sand or gravel, put it in a pot of water and boil it.

Having said this, if you feel more comfortable using gravel, then use it :)

Just an update on Sky. I seriously thought about euthanizing her 2 days ago because she was so sick and obviously in pain. I decided to finish the treatment and continue MB dips until course of treatment finished. Another fuzzy sore fell of and this time it didnā€™t grow back! Today she is swimming, eating and sore is healing. I think sheā€™s going to make it!

Finished! From sand back to gravel in the sorority tank. 1 down, 4 to go. Slow and steady wins the race!

Attachments

• 7BB7A1F0-B45D-40DF-BF97-F965823BA7B2.jpeg
    7BB7A1F0-B45D-40DF-BF97-F965823BA7B2.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
Could be columnaris or just a fungal infection growing over a wound. "The fungus spores can cause infections when the fish already has damaged gills or skin. They are typical secondary infections. White, cottony growth appears on the body of the fish. Anti-fungal medicines fight the infection." ~ Reefland.com I personally had a Bumblebee with columnaris. I kept her in a separate breeder tank and treated her with Erythromycin and Paraguard. Took two weeks and she lost part of a lip and cloudy eye, but is still alive several years later.

Definitely looks like fungus from the pictures you posted with the white fuzzy stuff. Betta looks ok aside from sore spot left behind after fungus fell off. Is he eating ok? If he is, then he is probably feeling ok. Would keep eye on sore to make sure it does not get worse and just keep water clean. I used to use a Q-tip on my fish to apply treatment directly. Dip tip of Q-tip in Aquarium Salt (get in pet store - don't use cooking salt) mixed with de-chlorinated water and softly and gently wipe on wound with soft tipped Q-tip. Should heal in time... if not would probably use antibiotics. My bettas never seem to fare well when I used antibiotic treatment in their water but you may have to if wound gets much worse. Otherwise if getting better on its own may not need any drastic treatment.

Thanks, guys. She had healed up doing fine. However, yesterday the fuzz was back in the same spot. Not responding as quickly to treatment this time. Donā€™t get it!

Just put the fish in a container of Methylene Blue and leave it there for a week. Every time you catch the fish and handle it you potentially remove the scab that is covering the wound and allow bacteria and fungus to reinfect it. you also need to make sure the tank is clean. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks to dilute the fungus spores and bacteria in the water. Or just drain the tank completely and add new water. That will dilute most of the stuff in it.

Just put the fish in a container of Methylene Blue and leave it there for a week. Every time you catch the fish and handle it you potentially remove the scab that is covering the wound and allow bacteria and fungus to reinfect it. you also need to make sure the tank is clean. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks to dilute the fungus spores and bacteria in the water. Or just drain the tank completely and add new water. That will dilute most of the stuff in it.
Colin, Do you happen to know how much methylene blue to a 4 gallon QT tank? That way I can move her their while breaking down her tank and cleaning really well.

Methylene Blue is available in different concentrations. You need to check the directions on the pack to see how much you use.

You don't have to break down the fish's tank. Just move it into a spare container that you don't mind becoming blue and leave it in the water with Methylene Blue for a week. Drain and refill the main tank and in a week move the fish back into it. The wound should have healed in that time and that should be the end of the problem.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back