Please Help Me Choose A Canister Filter!

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
The Eheim 2078 and the Fluval FX5 are way beyond my price range at this point & they'd be massive overkill to filter a 36 gallon bowfront that's moderately stocked like mine. I hear you on the expandability factor though, I do have a future plan for a 75 gallon at least but I can't justify that level of filtration for the current tank.

I was looking at some videos on YouTube that showed the assembly & disassembly of the listed units and I came across a vid that claimed you should have a filter that's rated for 3 times the size of your tank! Can that possibly be true? I mean I was trying to double the capacity thinking I might even be going overboard...........also, I'm thinking that if I want to upgrade the filtration of the 36 gallon I can always use the the Marineland for one of the 20 gallon tanks, which are a bit overstocked.

The Eheim seems to be running away with the poll but I'm not sure it will fit. It's a slender unit but that handle makes the width more than it should need to be & it might be a problem. I may have a solution: Instead of trying to put the filter to one side, put it in the middle but back into the corner of the wall where the tank is located. The unit could sit in a triangle shaped plastic oil change pan back there without killing the rest of the storage under the cabinet.

Here's a pic of the tank sitting in the corner at a 45 degree angle which leaves an area in the far back for the filter:

DSCN1124.jpg

Just get the marineland and be done with it. :D

I run 2 on my 180 at one point, so yeah, over filtering is a good thing. :lol:

Nice looking tank btw! :)

Just get the marineland and be done with it. :D

I run 2 on my 180 at one point, so yeah, over filtering is a good thing. :lol:

Nice looking tank btw! :)

Thanks! I did say I like to over analyze things........ :lol: To a fault...........I just hate getting the wrong thing when there's a better solution available for may particular application.

Here's the oil change pan (with a similar size diameter plant pot in it):

DSCN1172.jpg

Here's the cabinet closed:

DSCN1174.jpg

Here's cabinet open showing the available space in the corner:

DSCN1173.jpg

Here's a drawing to scale:

Canisterfilter.jpg

I would put it back there :good: You'll probably get good flow with you tubes being the same length.

Thanks FishFanatic, it just made sense because the space back there would otherwise be wasted.

Another question:

Since the tank is fully cycled should I leave the Penguin 200 on it for a month or so while the new filter gets established?

Lol!! You really do like doing things right! :lol:

Run both filters side by side for a couple of months.

Lol!! You really do like doing things right! :lol:

Run both filters side by side for a couple of months.

Thanks Minnnt, I probably will be getting the Marineland since the price is right & it has all the features I want. I'll probably order it from Big Al's Online.............later today. Just don't tell my wife! :shifty:

Ok but just need to tell you....... On amazon you don't pay tax (not sure why) and shipping is free on orders over $25 :p the one on amazon is also $89.99 now.

So in conclusion I'd have to rate the filters this way:

Marineland C-220 (Tetratec)
Overall value for price, high flowrate, size, appearance, ease of maintenance. Replacement impeller is only $10.00 at multiple locations online!! :good:

Eheim ECCO Pro 2236
It won the poll, great reputation based on past products, looks like a toy though and low flow rate and a bit pricey, especially for replacement parts. (impeller $26.50) :crazy:

Rena Filstar XP2
Personally recommended by 2 posters whose opinions I rate highly but it looks like something I could make myself, too short & too wide to fit properly under my particular cabinet which has plenty of height but not much width. Replacement impeller costs $26.00 :crazy:

Fluval 306
Recommended by my brother but he's never tried anything else & he doesn't even remember what model he had. Lowest vote tally (0) although it was loosely recommended by a couple of posters but not as their choice vs. the others. Too big also. New impeller $28.00 :crazy:

Ok but just need to tell you....... On amazon you don't pay tax (not sure why) and shipping is free on orders over $25 :p the one on amazon is also $89.99 now.

The one on Amazon is Big Al's Online.............also no tax & no shipping. I just went straight to the source site. :good:

Oh really? I didn't know that!

Yep.. When you try to order it Amazon shows the source site underneath the price. I went to the source site to determine the dimensions so I could make sure it fits. For that low of a price I almost stepped up to the C-360 but it was $149.99 instead of $89.99 so I'll just stay with the 220.

........oh and thanks for the link to Amazon, it saved me another $11 :hyper:

Your welcome ;) amazon is always my go to place. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back