Please help identify this fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
whatsthisfish.jpg

It was an off name that when I bought him, I cant now recall. It sucks getting old.

Anyways. He has gotten quite a bit larger than I was told he would, and not quite as much the community fish as I was assured he would be. As such, has become the biggest baddest mofo in the tank. He has a bad habbit of murdering new fish.

I want to offer him up on the local online fish groups here in my city, but to do so, a name would be helpful. :)

Most appriciated, and thank you!

Some of our members will know the species, I can only say it is a characin and in the family that I have always avoided because of their size and temperament. Not being in a group of close to 10 makes such fish even more aggressive. Hope you can find him a home. Someone will know the species, I'll tag a couple folks who might and whose moniker I can remember (sigh!).
@GaryE @DoubleDutch @Uberhoust

Some of our members will know the species, I can only say it is a characin and in the family that I have always avoided because of their size and temperament. Not being in a group of close to 10 makes such fish even more aggressive. Hope you can find him a home. Someone will know the species, I'll tag a couple folks who might and whose moniker I can remember (sigh!).
@GaryE @DoubleDutch @Uberhoust

I put 3 really beautiful yellow sailfin mollys in there this week, and he killed all 3 within a couple hours. :(

I put 3 really beautiful yellow sailfin mollys in there this week, and he killed all 3 within a couple hours. :(

Exactly what I would expect, the fish is frustrated. I'm surprised though that the neons are still there (in the photo anyway). Maybe the mollies aggravate him by their size and he intends getting rid of such fish.

Exactly what I would expect, the fish is frustrated. I'm surprised though that the neons are still there (in the photo anyway). Maybe the mollies aggravate him by their size and he intends getting rid of such fish.

He actually leaves everything that is currently in there alone. Its only new fish that get added that piss him off. I suspect a terratorial behavior.

Also, as well, I just recently pulled everything out ( plants, rocks, driftwood ) to give it all a really really good scrub down, and do a really good deep vacume of the substrate. I was having a black beard algea issue. But I put everything back in differently to give the tank a new look, and I suspect that hes just trying to eek out his new territory ( aka, the entire tank. )

It looks like Leprorinus granti. Leporinus are very bad news indeed, unless you are another Leporinus of the same species, in which case they are often bad news. Use a huge tank and a solid water flow.

It is indeed Leporinus granti. A very beautiful specimen.
Not all Leporinus are bad, in fact, none of them are. They are simply not suitable to most home aquarium settings. Despite that, a number of people keep them successfully in large tanks. In nature, they are shoaling species, living in loose groups, but still groups. Many species, L. granti included, are very important food fish in South America.

It looks like Leprorinus granti. Leporinus are very bad news indeed, unless you are another Leporinus of the same species, in which case they are often bad news. Use a huge tank and a solid water flow.
Hes in a 150 gallon tank, with a large water flow. None the less, he has become quite hostile to newbies. :(

It is indeed Leporinus granti. A very beautiful specimen.
Not all Leporinus are bad, in fact, none of them are. They are simply not suitable to most home aquarium settings. Despite that, a number of people keep them successfully in large tanks. In nature, they are shoaling species, living in loose groups, but still groups. Many species, L. granti included, are very important food fish in South America.

Thank you for the conformation. He actually is a really beautiful fish. And quite big. I will miss parting with him. :( He was somewhat the "show fish" of the tank.

I have a friend whose favourite group they are. They are stunning in his tanks, but he has enormous tanks I could only dream of having.

I have a friend whose favourite group they are. They are stunning in his tanks, but he has enormous tanks I could only dream of having.

I thought 150 would be big enough, but seems not for this guy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back