Please help identify these worms that suddenly appeared in my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

hazyvonne

Reaction score
Less than a week ago I moved my 6 Celestial Pearl Danios out of the 10g quarantine tank into the 55g main tank. I found some fry in the quarantine tank and didn't want the adults to eat them (I thought there were 2 fry, by now I have found 6 :wub:). This morning I went to feed the fry when I saw all these tiny white worms all over the glass. I've looked at various pictures online to identify what they are but would appreciate some help from more experienced people.

mgqdr8gv2uu71.jpg

cor077gv2uu71.jpg

lcarv7gv2uu71.jpg

Iā€™ve never seen any worms in my tanks ever.. internet says maybe detritus worms? From too much decaying food. Are they crawling up from the substrate?

Iā€™ve never seen any worms in my tanks ever.. internet says maybe detritus worms? From too much decaying food. Are they crawling up from the substrate?
From the pictures I've looked at I was thinking (hoping) detritus worms as well. I can't tell where they came from though. They were just all over the glass this morning. And I have been keeping the tank rather clean and been vacuuming the substrate every few days :sad:

Less than a week ago I moved my 6 Celestial Pearl Danios out of the 10g quarantine tank into the 55g main tank. I found some fry in the quarantine tank and didn't want the adults to eat them (I thought there were 2 fry, by now I have found 6 :wub:). This morning I went to feed the fry when I saw all these tiny white worms all over the glass. I've looked at various pictures online to identify what they are but would appreciate some help from more experienced people.

mgqdr8gv2uu71.jpg
From the pictures I've looked at I was thinking (hoping) detritus worms as well. I can't tell where they came from though. They were just all over the glass this morning. And I have been keeping the tank rather clean and been vacuuming the substrate every few days :sad:
So apparently they feed on all the nasties in the substrate and come out when oxygen levels are low. Not harmful to fish (but I still would not want them in there!) Thatā€™s what Iā€™m reading. But I honestly am not sure.

These are usually termed detritus worms as we don't know the scientific name, since there are so many different species.

Most detritus worms are pretty harmless and fish will snack on those without any real effects, its the internal parasites which are the real concern.

Here is an article on planeria, another type of worm which is very similar to your worms on the glass imho.
PFK is a knowledgeable and reputable source.

mgqdr8gv2uu71.jpg

cor077gv2uu71.jpg

lcarv7gv2uu71.jpg
Wow! Never saw such a thing, but many experienced people here who must have

mgqdr8gv2uu71.jpg

cor077gv2uu71.jpg

lcarv7gv2uu71.jpg

looks like these.

Agree with detritus worms. Usually from over feeding. Several deep susbstrate cleaning should help, then cut down on feeding. Many fish can go two to three days between feeding. Well kept fish can go a week. Unless you have some omnivore plecos and plants-then if you value your plants you will regualrly feed your plecos ( :sad: ask me how I know...)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back