Please help ID this baby snail and some tiny, white creatures...

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Reaction score
Hello, all!

So, we ordered some small blue velvet shrimp and two Japanese trapdoor snails from Aqua Huna. Unfortunately, the snails arrived dead, but the shrimp were all fine. I integrated them in a cycled shrimp-only tank and then eventually removed the snails after no motion for 48 hours.

After about a week, we started spotting these tiny snails along with some tiny swimming white specs that are moving too erratically to be just inert particles. Are the snails Malaysian trumpets or something else?

Can shrimp fry be tiny and white? Do I have a daphnia infestation? Should I do anything about it? I understand the photo of the white specs is poor, but it is hard to spot detail with either the naked eye or a jeweler's loupe.

Thanks!

- Jessica & Greg

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_001753914~2.jpg
    PXL_20240205_001753914~2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240205_002024692.jpg
    PXL_20240205_002024692.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240205_002114575.jpg
    PXL_20240205_002114575.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 15
When I got snails in my tanks I used this thread to help ID them

Oh that shell looks familiarā€¦particularly that little ridge running along the whorls. but I donā€™t think itā€™s in the snail list that was linked. Someone else had these a while back and itā€™s driving me nuts I canā€™t remember the ID. Common name was a something mud snail I feel likeā€¦arg. Iā€™ll have to dig around when Iā€™m back at a computer instead of a phone to see if I can find it.

Potamopyrgus! Or some spelling like that. The genus of the New Zealand mud snail but could be a different species within that. I think that was the spellingā€¦brain always starts working properly after hitting the post button.

Donya,

We think you might be onto something there. We'll let you know as they grow if they are definitely that fun invasive species, and your time and knowledge are greatly appreciated!

Most reactions

Back