Please Help As Unsure What To Do For Best

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

melvinator

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hi all this is first post on here i recently got a second hand tank 5ft x 2ft x 2ft 550 litre approx now i filled tank up all was good till last night when i had the phone call get home quick my bottom glass has starting to crush and shatter at the edge. i not sure if this is worth or advisable to repair or time to cut my loss. i have kids and i dont want them at any risk of tank leaking and pouring at them.

the bottom glass that u see inside the tank is still fine no cracks nothing it is just right at the edge of the glass of bottom sheet that started to crack. it was up 48hour and was water tight it still never leaked when glass starting to crack from pressure but i did empty it as fast as possible. ie 2 hoses outside and bucket running lol.

please any advice would be appreciated i been told just sealent would fix it but with amount of water and pressure i need to be reassured and peace of mind for safety of kids if nothing else.

im of out now till late on tonight so if u need further info i respond when im back.

thank u for any of ur time and help in advance.. mel

what kind of stand is it on? It shouldn't just start to shatter on a proper stand. Can you post pics of the crack? This will help us get a better idea of what you are dealing with. The pane may have to be replaced or just seal it with some silicone. But those pictures would help us help you 
yes.gif

thank u sputnick i really appreciate ur time i not sure how to post piccy as forum dont allow photobucket links. as for stand i hand made a real sturdy 4ft stand for last tank but as i bought a 5 ft tank i cut a pine door down to size with a little overhang each side with polystyrene on top to cushion the weight of tank. sorry i cant post pics

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your problems. A tank of this size has to withstand large stresses when filled.

You have several things which **MUST** be correct for the tank integrity to remain.

The tank must be designed and built correctly. A bit obvious really... but I have seen some poor efforts from some big name manufacturers. I've also seen tanks that have had bracing removed.

The tank must be supported properly... the exact method depends on how the tank is designed and built. The most obvious types are bare bottomed tanks and those built into some support structure. Look on this site or ask if unsure.

It is possible that the crack has occured due to previous damage (generally a knock in transit), crack propagation from some sort of microfracture (can be from the time of tank manufacture) or from excessive stress allowed by failing silicone.

The tank is certainly repairable... for total confidence I strongly recommend a full stripdown and rebuild with new glass replacing the damaged piece. I personally would not attempt a patch or overlay repair here.

This is actually very easy to do.. You only need simple tools, a bit of space and some time.
If you want to do this, please see some of my earlier posts regarding tank repair (just ask for links if you need them).

A photo or two would help us in giving you specific advice.

If you decide not to repair the tank, then I would ask that you consider passing the tank on to someone who will. Tanks this size are too good to destroy!

BTW, The use of sealant only will not give you a permanent (or safe) repair. I have witnessed catastrophic failure of a 5' tank... not fun!

Bodge99

melvinator said:
thank u sputnick i really appreciate ur time i not sure how to post piccy as forum dont allow photobucket links. as for stand i hand made a real sturdy 4ft stand for last tank but as i bought a 5 ft tank i cut a pine door down to size with a little overhang each side with polystyrene on top to cushion the weight of tank. sorry i cant post pics
well it certainly doesn't sound like its the stand's fault. I'm thinking that it was a chip that wasn't noticed and caused the break. As far as pictures I like to use Imageshack, just upload copy the forum link and paste. Pretty easy and free too. Bodge said it best though. Its always better to fully replace the pane that is broke instead of repairing it. Again like he said as well, its not all that difficult to do. All you need if a few basic tools that are commonly found and a new pane of glass.

melvinator said:
Photobucket links are indeed allowed here but like Sputnick said there are other image sharing sites you can use. Sorry you're having troubles with your tank :(

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/melvinator_2007/media/SAM_1206.jpg.html

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/melvinator_2007/media/SAM_1205.jpg.html

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/melvinator_2007/media/SAM_1204.jpg.html

can i just say wow thanks for all advice and replies i really am grateful hopefully links above shows pic it is a little worst than camera shows i also have found out later that the piece in glass at fault is bottom pane called the pelmet
i dont mind spending time to repair and i have the space but i need to know inside that everything is 100% safe thats my main thing
sorry just to add the top of tank has got glass edge sealed in all around the tank for upper brace as this hold 2 sliding glass panels so the top has the support

Alright well the only thing I can deduce from the pictures is this. That little tiny bit that the tank is sitting over the edge caused the crack. All it takes is the slightest over hang, remember thats hundreds of pounds of pressure on that edge. Also I think that will have to be replaced. As far as replacing it goes, its not very hard. Have a look on youtube I know there are lots of instructional videos about replacing the side of a tank. As for security you just have to make sure your silicone is sealed and you can do a water test with hose water outside to check for leaks.

Hello,

So you have a tank that is Eurobraced... or something close to this.

See http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/420560-repairing-a-cracked-tank/
and http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/401461-repairing-a-tank/ for some tips...

One further tip... If you can obtain a sheet of 1/2" MDF then use this to place the tank on when diassembling/rebuilding.
It's often a good idea to keep large sheets of glass on a rigid surface. Try to avoid a carpeted floor if possible.

Any questions at all.. just post here..

Good luck!

Bodge99

its not sat over the edge the polystyrene is under all tank and door is further 2 cm out and sealing by sounds above would not stop it cracking any further as i said it was still water tight but obviously if crack was to spread it would
i dont trust myself replacing and sealing the whole pane

well peeps i thank u all for your time and help and advice but i have now sold the tank to someone who wanted it for turtles so there isnt as much pressure so hopefully it will be nice new home for them. i just wanted to pop back in and say thank you tho i read and took all your considerations into account and was very helpful. i will also look out for more when buying another tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back