Please give your suggestions...easiest (non-livebearer) fish to spawn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had a trio of Betta imbellis in a planted 10 gal. They bred with little help from me. When the male is in spawning mode the colors are amazing. My fish were offspring of the best in class winner at an IBC event. I got them via AquaBid but I stopped using that site site around 2005.

Most of my experience is with cichlids. Convict cichlids will breed even when you don't want them to and are excellent parents that will protect their babies against all threats. I've seen a convict pair keep two large Oscars isolated to one third of a large tank because there were baby convicts on the other side.

Brichardi are also excellent parents and will fill as much of a tank as you give them. They form colonies and juveniles will help rear the later batches of fry. It's pretty cool to see.

Neolamprologus Leleupi can also be pretty easy. Give them a cave, good food, and clean water (high PH and hard) , and they will breed.

Electric yellows, jewel cichlids, and Aulonocara are also easy to breed and are good parents.

Julidichromis Marlieri and Julidochromis Transcriptus will breed if given good conditions and lots of rock work. Juveniles and fry will hover around, hugging the rocks as they look for something to eat. They are very fun to watch.

Cyprichromis have interesting courtship that us easy to observe. They don't do much to protect their young after they are free swimming, but they won't eat them.

Synodontis Lucipinnus and S. Petricola are both easy to breed, but I had to use egg traps to preserve the eggs and fry. The parents will eat any eggs that they find.

I agree that bristlenose plecos are another fish that will breed if given half a chance. Some males will scatter the eggs instead of protecting them. Having an egg tumbler is helpful for such occasions.

I need a few more tanks so I can raise some of these cool fish again.

I just got 4 electric blue acara as part of a tank purchase (they came with it)...so good to know they are easy!
Mine were easy peasy, they paired up (can get quite territorial when breeding so you may have to plan what you will do if/when they pair up), laid the eggs and did all of the work. As long as they have enough space they will take care of the fry quite well. You can also give them a flat surface to lay the eggs on, remove the fertilised eggs, and raise them separately.

Bristlenose plecos. They do all the work, You do need caves for them. The dad raises the eggs and when they are finally free swimming babies, he kicks them out. BN to not predate their young.
i agree with you bristlenose are the best fish to breed and really fun

Most of my experience is with cichlids. Convict cichlids will breed even when you don't want them to and are excellent parents that will protect their babies against all threats. I've seen a convict pair keep two large Oscars isolated to one third of a large tank because there were baby convicts on the other side.

Brichardi are also excellent parents and will fill as much of a tank as you give them. They form colonies and juveniles will help rear the later batches of fry. It's pretty cool to see.

Neolamprologus Leleupi can also be pretty easy. Give them a cave, good food, and clean water (high PH and hard) , and they will breed.

Electric yellows, jewel cichlids, and Aulonocara are also easy to breed and are good parents.

Julidichromis Marlieri and Julidochromis Transcriptus will breed if given good conditions and lots of rock work. Juveniles and fry will hover around, hugging the rocks as they look for something to eat. They are very fun to watch.

Cyprichromis have interesting courtship that us easy to observe. They don't do much to protect their young after they are free swimming, but they won't eat them.

Synodontis Lucipinnus and S. Petricola are both easy to breed, but I had to use egg traps to preserve the eggs and fry. The parents will eat any eggs that they find.

I agree that bristlenose plecos are another fish that will breed if given half a chance. Some males will scatter the eggs instead of protecting them. Having an egg tumbler is helpful for such occasions.

I need a few more tanks so I can raise some of these cool fish again.
how big of a tank would i need and what ph

Mine were easy peasy, they paired up (can get quite territorial when breeding so you may have to plan what you will do if/when they pair up), laid the eggs and did all of the work. As long as they have enough space they will take care of the fry quite well. You can also give them a flat surface to lay the eggs on, remove the fertilised eggs, and raise them separately.
Thanks for the advice, I currently have them in my community tank, I haven't seen any aggressiveness or breeding behavior, but I do have plenty of tanks if the need arises. I want to breed them :) so hopefully that works out.

For which fish? A 40 gallon breeder is big enough for most of these, but what are you wanting to try?
I have bristlenose and guppy’s in a 35 gallon I’m breeding them if I took all the guppy’s out could I breed the electric blue acaras in that tank with the bristlenose

I never intended to breed them nor did I think I could but I've had my group of false Julii Cory catfish reproduce several times over the years. And just recently my group of Rosy Loach's popped out a young one so I expect more of those are on the way.. You just need the right tank conditions, feed live or frozen foods, have plenty of places for them to hide and survive from predators. I have densely planted java ferns, thick java moss, and these tiny logs with slats and openings just big enough for fry but not big enough for adults to enter. Also my corys appeared to get extra frisky when I fed them frozen brine shrimp.

I have a species tank of scarlet badis and they breed a lot. Females are extremely hard to find anywhere. I had 2 in the beginning, but now have 5 when fry grew up.

So, if you are able to get some females, they breed easily and without induction or interference.

Welll I agree with everything else you said, but the 1/10 chances of keeping them alive seems a bit untrue. I get they're not completely beginner fish, but they're quite hardy. Breeding them is another story...
Convict cichlids

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back