Video Playing with a grumpy Blood Parrot

My blood parrot is still young, but I hope it develops a personality as outgoing as yours.

My blood parrot is still young, but I hope it develops a personality as outgoing as yours.

That's the funny thing - Mary was always like this. This video is when I first got him as a TEENSY little dude years ago. He has his moments though. He bites pretty hard and meanly when he is in a mood. And then he has moments like this when he is such a friendly guy.

My guy kept swimming into the net at my lfs. They had about a dozen baby blood parrots in with some earth eaters, who I had originally intendedto purchase. The parrots really let the eartheaters feel comfortable enough to come out of hiding. After dumping him out of the net the 5th time, I told the store worker to bag him up, if he wanted to come home with me so badly.
He always spots me first and rushes to the front corner, followed by my female pink convict (who follows him like a puppy dog). Then the earth eaters and headstanders follow his lead.

For all that I didn't go in to buy him (he really had to insist), I think my blood parrot is one of my favorites.

I had just lost all my goldfish due to a mass disease. I had gotten the tank back ready for a new goldfish. I didn't go looking for Mary either, I wanted 2 new goldfish. But he said HIIII and I had never ever seen a Blood Parrot before at Walmart... And I was sold.

I have tried tankmates over the years... But Mary says no. He beats up any other cichlids or relentlessly chases them into constant hiding. He did okay with Barbs for a while but eventually turned on them too. He even pecks the snails and stresses them to death. So he stays alone and will do so until he dies.

My lil blood parrot (Cheeto) does the same thing! But after I give her some ‘scratches’ she takes a few excited laps around her tank. So cute. Definitely my favorite fish.

My lil blood parrot (Cheeto) does the same thing! But after I give her some ‘scratches’ she takes a few excited laps around her tank. So cute. Definitely my favorite fish.
I love Mary, don't get me wrong... But his little temper has made me decide against Blood Parrots in the future. I wanted this tank to have a few different types of fish. If I want just ONE fish, I really would prefer a goldfish. So once Mary is gone - I will switch to a more placid type of Cichlid or maybe a community type tank or large school of Tiger Barbs or something.

I love Mary, don't get me wrong... But his little temper has made me decide against Blood Parrots in the future. I wanted this tank to have a few different types of fish. If I want just ONE fish, I really would prefer a goldfish. So once Mary is gone - I will switch to a more placid type of Cichlid or maybe a community type tank or large school of Tiger Barbs or something.
My Cheeto seems to get along with her tank mates. At the moment I have rummynose tetra, an assortment of cory’s, and a clown pleco. She spent a few minutes chasing the cory’s around when I first added them, but has since moved on. She has also been moved 2 times due to her last tank mates and her not getting along. But that was when she was with other cichlids. First time she was the aggressor, next time it was the flowerhorn.

Aww. Mary looks adorable! I love it when fish seem so excited to see their owners!
I have a rather large albino cory that swims right up to my hand when I stick it in the tank. There's time I'll reach my hand in to move around some decor and he'll just swim over and sit on the top of my hand! Hopefully Mary continues to be a sweet and outgoing fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back