Platy

XxTokingBeautyxX

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I recently purchased 3 green lantern platys. Can anybody tell if they are male/ female or give me some tips on sexing them? ( sorry for the blurry pics, my camera sucks [emoji849]) . But anyways, yesterday I noticed the slimmer platy was chasing another one around. No fin nipping or biting, just following/ hovering? I have 2 chubby ones and 1 slimmer....maybe 2 females and 1 male? If so, do they appear pregnant or is the round belly normal for female platys? I appreciate any and all tips!! New to the world of the Platys and am open to any new info!:)
d2d8038f3c1e38ac210c031a98f75c0d.jpg
56c81793c7b127fd382c84d85d1bb062.jpg
324778b70c1fd9262fd4628e1800c144.jpg
5f243324b78ea13701ceed85a0611c40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the first photo, the top and bottom fish are both female - the anal fin is a definite fan shape. The one at the top is also pregnant judging by her shape.

The one in the middle is more tricky. It could be a female where the anal fin is not fully opened out, or it could be a young male that had just reached puberty. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the anal fin could be starting to change shape to the rod like gonopodium of males.

The other photos are not clear enough to tell for certain.

In the first photo, the top and bottom fish are both female - the anal fin is a definite fan shape. The one at the top is also pregnant judging by her shape.

The one in the middle is more tricky. It could be a female where the anal fin is not fully opened out, or it could be a young male that had just reached puberty. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the anal fin could be starting to change shape to the rod like gonopodium of males.

The other photos are not clear enough to tell for certain.
Would it be good to put her in a breeder box or should I just add extra plants for the fry to hide in....I dont want to stress her out but also would like to see some baby platys!! Any tips on what the best approach here would be?

Breeder boxes are very stressful for the mother. The best way is to have lots of plants (real of fake) for the fry to hide in. Some will be eaten but every female you have will give birth to fry every month; even without a male in the tank, if they've been in a tank with a male at some point they can have babies for about 6 months as female livebearers can store sperm. That's a lot of new fish in a short time.

Breeder boxes are very stressful for the mother. The best way is to have lots of plants (real of fake) for the fry to hide in. Some will be eaten but every female you have will give birth to fry every month; even without a male in the tank, if they've been in a tank with a male at some point they can have babies for about 6 months as female livebearers can store sperm. That's a lot of new fish in a short time.
I guess I'll just let nature run its course then! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back