Male platy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maria F

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here. Hope everyone is good! Please can someone tell me the sex of these platys? They both have a bit of a fan at the back so I'm struggling to distinguish. I have a second tank to evict any males to to prevent inbreeding! (Was sold 2 females and 1 male) thank you!
PXL_20221128_104442763.MP.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFF!! Both of your platies are female. If they were sexually mature when exposed to the male, they are likely already pregnant. The top girl there looks pregnant for sure.

Hi thanks all for responding. I've removed the male from the tank some time a go. They are about 4 months old now but I agree it does look pregnant! God knows how. There's younger platys but I don't think they'd be sexually mature yet plus they literally all look female. So confused

I removed the male to the other tank a month a go. I didn't notice the male pestering the young just the two older original females

From this picture it's clear that they are both variatus platies. And the top one is a male. You already see the slight pointy tip of the anal fin changing into a gonopodium. The bottom one is still tricky. But for now, the bottom one looks female. I do get the idea that both are young specimens.
It doesn't look like one is pregnant but they both look well shaped.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back