Platy swimming with an egg in its mouth

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

AmberStar96

Reaction score
I've just discovered some eggs on the side of my tank, but one of the platys is swimming round with an egg in its mouth? Is it protecting it? Trying to eat it? The others keep trying to get them off the glass too.. they're very greedy fish so not surprised if they're eating them but been swimming with it for about an hour now haha. On the pic it's the all yellow one, they wouldn't stop moving! TIA

Attachments

• 20210206_190434.jpg
    20210206_190434.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 68
What other fish do you have in the tank. Platies are live bearers to the eggs are not theirs. They don't have the instinct to care for or protect the eggs so they are eating them. If you want to save the eggs you should get them out now

What other fish do you have in the tank. Platies are live bearers to the eggs are not theirs. They don't have the instinct to care for or protect the eggs so they are eating them. If you want to save the eggs you should get them out now
I just have corys in there at the moment and 1 gourami? No wonder they're swarming them.. bit weird that platy is just carrying it round!!

Cories stick their eggs to surfaces, including the tank walls, so they'll be cory eggs.

Yep most definitely cories. Are you interested in breeding them?

Yep most definitely cories. Are you interested in breeding them?
Yeah they'll be cories then, I've not thought about it but I've never had any babies before and I have plenty of room so I've separated the eggs and put them in a breeder box for now.. that platy isn't carrying the egg around I think he's tried to eat it and its got stuck on his lip hahaha

Most reactions

Back