Platy Is Looking Really Skinny

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Denni

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
my dad has a tank of platys, one died this morning. it was first stuck to the filter and then just sank to the bottom of the tank in a c shape.
And now the last fully grown platy has gotten very skinny over the past few days. it looks all clamped up and its spine looks weird and bent...and scary...
The tank was cleaned last week, so pH is normal and it hasn't lost its appetite. I attached some photos. I just hope its not contagious.... ;(

I would really appreciate some help with this!

Denni

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 742
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 695
Poor thing. Sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

How many gallons is the tank please.?.
How any fish and which type?
Can you please post water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
What do you feed your fish?
Did the fish loose weight due to not eating?

Do any of your fish show signs of
Long stringy white waste. or clear waste.
Check fish for enlarged anus, or red inflamed anus.
Do any fish have sunken in bellies?
Have you seen any worms sticking out of the fish anus?

the tank size is 30L...like 8 gallons i think
all of them are platy, but all juvenile babies from moustachio (the sick one)
her stomach is sunk in, but she still eats. The others look nice and well fed.  I usually feed them spirulina flakes, sometimes peas when i'm feeding my fighter
the other fish look fine and active.
I can only give you the pH which is around 7, I've run out of strips -_-
her anus looks swollen, but no worms :)S) that i can see. I haven't seen any waste from her either. 

I don't know if this means anything, but we've had quite a few snails (that we can't seem to get rid of) 

WILDER said:
Poor thing. Sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

How many gallons is the tank please.?.
How any fish and which type?
Can you please post water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
What do you feed your fish?
Did the fish loose weight due to not eating?

Do any of your fish show signs of
Long stringy white waste. or clear waste.
Check fish for enlarged anus, or red inflamed anus.
Do any fish have sunken in bellies?
Have you seen any worms sticking out of the fish anus?

If some platys look thin and one died of a bent spine I think you should treat for camallanus worms.
Levaimsole is a good medication for camallanos worms. It's a pig wormer.
Take a sample of your tank water to the local fish store and ask then to write the readings down for you.
Also improve there diet with frozen foods like brime shrimp, blood worms, daphnia.
More veg like broc, spinach, green cabbage, lettuce etc. Anything green really.

Camallanus    
stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish�s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm�s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm�s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

Another link to camallanous worms.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/camallanus-worms.aspx

WILDER said:
If some platys look thin and one died of a bent spine I think you should treat for camallanus worms.
Levaimsole is a good medication for camallanos worms. It's a pig wormer.
Take a sample of your tank water to the local fish store and ask then to write the readings down for you.
Also improve there diet with frozen foods like brime shrimp, blood worms, daphnia.
More veg like broc, spinach, green cabbage, lettuce etc. Anything green really.

Camallanus    
stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish�s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm�s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm�s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

Another link to camallanous worms.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/camallanus-worms.aspx
thank you very much 

Good Luck.
If you don't mind can you let us know how you get on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back