Platy In A 5 Gallon?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So I was just sitting around thinking about what to do with my 5 gallon hex tank and suddenly it hits me that I could do platy perhaps. So I was thinking about the platy I use to have until I gave them up because they where not mixing with the Molly I had. Then I though about Coal Platy. While normal Platy get to about 2-3in (if I remember right) they only will grow to 1in. So I am thinking about 3-4 in a small hex tank with some plants and maybe a small tank mate for the bottom?

I found a store that sells pygmy cory and one that sell ADF. I am thinking either 5 pygy cory or 2-3 ADF in there with them? I am not sure if it will work but I would still need to do a fishless cycle leaving me time to decide. Also I would do some sort of extra filtration.

Will it work?
 
The 5 pygmy cories will work fine. I am not familiar with a platy called a coal platy so no idea on those. In a 5 gallon you would definitely want an all male grouping. You won't have any room for any fry.
 
coral blue platy is purely a blue platy that has a shine like a dwarf gourami if they catch the light

Intterestingly out of three batches of fry they have all been female young for me.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top