Platy Help Needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

southyorkslass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi please can someone help me i have had a few pregnant platys that was nearly due to drop and then they seem to sit on bottom of breeder net and then die over night does anyone have any idea why this is happening as my water is ok

Stress. Breeder nets are very stressful for pregnant fish, and you're experiencing what stress can do to them. Take them out and let them give birth in the tank. If you have hiding places, and plants (especially floating plants) you should have some surviving fry. You can scoop the fry into the breeder net to grow them up a bit, but only for a couple weeks. After that, you risk stunting. If you're planning to be breeding and raising fry for a while, look into a fry tank. There's a pinned topic on that on the top of the page. Good luck! :)

get your self lots of hornwort, cabomba and wisteria in the tank and you should be able to keep hold of some fyy, as they will all hide in the plants also any decor you can pop in yout yank they provides hidey holes for fry then that will help too

What I think works extremely well, are those decorative rocks... you can buy a little bag of them at the dollar store... and then I just set them up nicely along the front of the tank, making sure there are crevises all the way (putting it in the front gives you view of the babies) and they hide out in there. I dont think I have lost a baby at all from having those rocks... (Unless someone ate a few right when they were being born)

yep i`ve heard that, also i`ve herd of marbles being used, stacked up in one corner and the babies hise in there, but i just don`t like it as it looks un

yep i`ve heard that, also i`ve herd of marbles being used, stacked up in one corner and the babies hise in there, but i just don`t like it as it looks un
best thing to do is to not leave any wide open spaces because when my guppy had babies i didnt really know the deco was kind of far apart, you know like opposite sides of the tank and whenever the fry came out of their hiding grass on one side and wanted to get to the other my gourami would just pick them off before they could reach. kinda like that game sharks & minnows kids play in the pool. :nod:

Well I have used Baby Nursery for live bearers. It works very good, but got to watch out not to stress them out too much. I will post a website below to show it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

You can put the pregnant female in there and up to 2 females. You will be able to save a lot of fry.
Hi ppl thank you for the info have since put some more plants in my fry tank and am gettin some glass pepples or marbles tomoro for the tank i have already got quite a few rocks in there for the babies to hide in

Most reactions

trending

Back