Platy fry.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SarahPD229

Reaction score
I have had an aquarium for just over 2 months and am thoroughly loving it! In that time I have managed to save 30 Platy fry from the hungry tummys of my angelfish and Siamese fighter! Now they are getting bigger, does anyone know of a good aquarium centre that will actually give you some free fish food or something in exchange? :D

Not sure. it depends on your location.
Pop along to your lfs they might be able to make a deal with you over the platties for food or something else you mgiht need

Most places will give you something in exchange for fry so long as they are of sellable size.

William

HI Sarah,

after rearing 2 batches of fry, half of i have still got ;) , i have now left the female in the community tank, this ensures that there are no more platy fry :0 and that my angels are getting quite big as a result :but: .

It is best to ask at your lfs to see if they are interested, mine around here were not :(

Gaza

:D Thanks everyone!
I think I will ask around, the best centre round here has offered to take them but I am a bit embarrased to ask for something in return! I'll let my husband do that!
I will carry on saving as many fry as possible, I actually find its fun so will probably end up getting a nursery tank to stick on the side, as we have the rigid plastic ones that sit in the water at the moment and they spoil the look of the tank! :)

Watch out for the plastic ones cause some limit the flow of water leading to build up of wastes and excess food and therefore causing harmfull conditions for fry. Also look out for fish being able to suck them out from the outside. I myself use a net one.

William

Most shops will exchange fish for goods, or other fish if there a good size and in good health. Just dont ask for money.
They take the fish off you at a small price swap them for a tub of food, and sell the fish for the price of three or four tubs of food. So there allways happy to take fish from hobbyists 8)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back