platy breeding

nino

Fish Addict
Reaction score
how long does it take for platies to pair up and breed? i have a male and female, together for about 3-4 weeks now. i'm anxious to have some fry but right now the male is just chasing the female. any ideas, suggestions, or comments? (yes, i know i am being impatient)

Your mileage will vary - mine "paired" immediately by judging from the date when she gave birth. Right now, I've mixed two different platies together (hoping to see a new pattern) but he is absolutely not interested in other colored females - always chases off...

:) My male Sunburst platy paired up with my female immediately after I introduced him into the tank! He constantly follows after her and a month later I ended up with fry! :hyper: My female Sunburst platy even attracts my two male Red platies and my swordtail/platy cross!

They are supposed to be cross breedable - just that I haven't had much luck so far with it... Right now the male has the choice between 1 of his own kind and 5 of other kinds... Guess which one consitantly breeds?

What's even more odd - the only female of the same kind isn't stressed and the male absolutely doesn't stress her. I've never seen this behavior from platies before - I have a breeding pair!

is there any tell tale signs 4 when a plattie is going to give birth my platties paired up straight away im just waiting 4 her to drop

how long does it take for platies to pair up and breed? i have a male and female, together for about 3-4 weeks now. i'm anxious to have some fry but right now the male is just chasing the female. any ideas, suggestions, or comments? (yes, i know i am being impatient

Must admit I've been thinking of asking a similar question. I have 4 platies (one male, three females).

He never seems to show the kind of interest in his ladies as the mollies or guppies do. I have had them 4 1/2 weeks now and can't tell if any are pregnant, although I do sometimes think the Light Orange one looks fat. Not too sure what to look for to tell if she is pregnant.

The male is orange with black spots, the females are Blue, light orange and dark orange.

Up to now I've just been hanging on to wait and see if anything happens or shows out. :dunno:

i had a minnie mouse platy(or so i thought it was a girl), i still have a sunburst platy, my 'minnie' died a few weeks ago after being in the tank for over 8 months. the two platys used to chase each other,i thought they didnt like each other but i think they were just trying to mate becuz now my sunburst is very pregnant. how long do these types of fish stay pregnant?also should i move the pregnant one into a seperate tank till she has the babies or wait for them to be born and try moving the babies?

how long do these types of fish stay pregnant?

Usually about a month.

also should i move the pregnant one into a seperate tank till she has the babies or wait for them to be born and try moving the babies?

It depends and it's totally up to you -- if your tank has lots of plants and hiding places, I wouldn't worry about it and I'd just let her stay in your tank. You'd be surprised how many fry will be able to hide and survive without any help at all. If she's not too far along, you could go ahead and move her -- but if she's pretty far along (looks like she's about to burst) you're probably better off not moving her, as the stress of being netted & moved can cause them to lose the babies.

Most reactions

Back