Platy Aggression...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BIGbadJOHN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, I know platys aren't supposed to be aggressive.....But I just finished the cycle on my 10G tank and the first 3 fish I've added are a Bumblebee platy(about an inch big), a HiFin blue MM platy(also inch big), and a MM platy around 3/4 of an inch big. The tank is planted with some anacharis, cryptocyrne, java fern, and a couple small amazon swords. There is also a large piece of driftwood in the center. The first couple of days were ok and all 3 fish seemed to be getting along well, but now the HiFin seems to be really getting aggressive towards the other 2. Ever since I got home today he's been chasing the other 2 around the tank like crazy and it looks to me like he's really trying to hurt them. He's not just chasing but actually nipping at them and looks like he's trying to ram them. What should I do? Add another couple of platys? Or maybe a school of neons or something? I plan on adding a betta later and either shrimp or corys. Probably shrimp because I don't know if I have enough open sand on the bottom for corys. I like all 3 fish and probably the 2 he's picking on more than him so if I can't make peace with them I'll have to get rid of him. :/

Attachments

• 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
Well, I think I'm gonna go another route. It's only been 3 days since we got them so we're just gonna go back tomorrow and take him back. We've already called the store and they said it's fine. I'll be getting the rest of the fish also because I'm afraid that I'm not providing the bacteria I took all that time to build up during the cycle enough food with only 3 platys in the tank.

What sex are the Platties? If there all males then this is the reason why. He is trying to assert himself as number 1. If having three then you will need 1 male and 2 females.

Yeah, I know platys aren't supposed to be aggressive.....

That's not the impression I have of them, especially if there are too many males in a tank without lots of females to distract them, but then this leads to "baby factory" conditions!

I would take him back. I had the same problem with a male who despite me adding more from similar advise promptly killed one and tried to harrass the others to death! this was despite me having a 250L tank with plenty of space and cover. In the end I had to keep him in a hospital tank for the rest of his days with a few shrimp for company. Community fish my a%*@! :crazy:

Well I've heard ppl keeping only males and I don't want any babies so I went this route. Females keep having babies for several batches after they've been bred so buying a female who isn't going to have babies is next to impossible. I'll try switching him out and see if that works. If not I'll be asking more questions.

it's possible the aggressive one was a male and the other two were females. if this was the case, he was probably trying to breed with them. males have a gonopodium in place of the anal fin found in females.

it's possible the aggressive one was a male and the other two were females. if this was the case, he was probably trying to breed with them. males have a gonopodium in place of the anal fin found in females.

Yeah, they are all males. I knew that when I bought them because I want absolutely 0 babies cause my wife would flip if any got eaten and it would break her heart. I actually returned the Blue HiFin Platy today and picked up 2 platys in his place to try and make more of a school. 1 MM platy and 1 Red Wag. I also got 4 Julii Cory. I know 6 is the minimum recommended, but Juliis don't get quite as large as the Emeralds or Albinos so I figured 4 would be fine. I may get 1 more to add at a later date if I feel they need another. So as of now my stocking is 4 platys and 4 Juliis. I am also going to add a betta at a later date. I would have gotten some Pygmy Cory, but no one in these parts seems to sell them.

By the way, a funny thing is that the HiFin platy only attacked the other 2 when the lights were on....Is this normal? As soon as I turned the lights off he let them be. Pretty weird! :crazy:

That's a pretty tank you have there by the way Gilli! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back