Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Platinum senegal fish size?

Discussion in 'Oddball's institute' started by Aniket, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

1. Aniket

Aniket Fish Crazy

Today i went from aquarium shop and i liked platinum senegal fish. So i asked shop keeper about fish size and requirements. That fish was 15cm long. He said it can live in long 20 gallon. But on google they said fish require minimum 50 gallon tank. He said fish will not increase his length if put him in 20 gallon long tank. I dont think he will libe comfortably in 20 gallon long tank.
    Should i buy that fish or not?

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

They can grow to over 1 foot long and need a reasonable tank to move about in. The tank should be at least 4 foot long x 18-24 inches wide.

They are a boring fish that doesn't do much and in my opinion, not worth keeping.

3. Aniket

Aniket Fish Crazy

I just love the look. They looks like dragon. My tank is 31 inch long x 8 inch wide. Is it sufficient for that fish?

4. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Addict

From what @Colin_T said, I don’t think so.....:)

5. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

No. the fish is nearly as wide as that tank and the fish is only half grown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Byron

Byron Member

The general rule of thumb on tank/fish size when considering potentially large fish is that the tank must be three times the fish's mature length, and wider that the fish's length.

The maximum standard length of the Senegal Bichir is 20 inches (Seriously Fish). That means a tank with minimum dimensions of 5 feet length by 2 feet width.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1