Platies.

Muscy_Mel

New Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Suffolk, UK.
Ok for a start this may be more appropriate in the livebearer section, but for some reason i can't post any messages there.

My problem is with my platies...
I always seem to have one or two that becomes ill, and show no obvious signs of why. I do regular water changes and keep the tank clean, the filter is cleaned/checked (in tank water) frequently too. The fish just hover near the surface of the tank, and just generally seem lethargic. I check for nitrite and ammonia whenever theres a problem, and that always seems to be fine. I have lost a few fish after this happens.
To be honest, the place where i buy my platies from often have theirs 'off sale' due to white spot or fungus, and i was told by someone that works there that platies aren't a very hardy fish now-a-days. But i haven't added any new fish for about 2 weeks now, and a couple are showing signs as mentioned above. I have had previous outbreaks of white spot, but that cleared up a long time ago. This morning one of my females that i brought nearly 4 months ago didn't eat, so it's not looking good for her.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong with them.... please please let me know what i can do to help. Thankies...

Mel x
 
Platys do seem to carry lots of diseases and parasites now days, i think its down to the way they are mass-produced for pet shops. I've found that internal bacterial infections are rather common in platys, and can show very few obvious symptoms- do the platys seem underweight?
 
Do you have plent of water surafce movement for oxygen, or do you have a airpump? if so try turning the flow up more.

Has any of them got clamped fins?

Do you have gravel in your tank? (if so how often do you clean it)

What other fish are in with them (If any)

Do they seem to be gasping for air near surface?
 
Thanks for the replys.
I have gravel which is cleaned a couple of times each week. I have a filter that produces a good flow of water, and helps to oxygenate the water. I only have platies in my tank, no other fish. Occassonaily they have clamped their fins, mainly just before they die to be honest. The females fin's are fine though, she generally looks very healthy, other than the fact that like others i've previously lost, shes just lethargic and staying near the surface, or at the bottom of the tank. The famale did now eat a few flakes of food, but she lacked in enthusiasum. None of my platies are underweight, they normally eat like horses, lol.

I agree that they are mass produced, and as they breed so easily, it's hard to keep track of their breeding.

Last night i did put some treatment in the tank for white spot, incase it was that. Do you think i should put a carbon filter in for a few hours to get rid of that, and then put some treatment in for internal bacterial disease/parasites?

Mel x
 
Thanks for the replys.
I have gravel which is cleaned a couple of times each week. I have a filter that produces a good flow of water, and helps to oxygenate the water. I only have platies in my tank, no other fish. Occassonaily they have clamped their fins, mainly just before they die to be honest. The females fin's are fine though, she generally looks very healthy, other than the fact that like others i've previously lost, shes just lethargic and staying near the surface, or at the bottom of the tank. The famale did now eat a few flakes of food, but she lacked in enthusiasum. None of my platies are underweight, they normally eat like horses, lol.

I agree that they are mass produced, and as they breed so easily, it's hard to keep track of their breeding.

Last night i did put some treatment in the tank for white spot, incase it was that. Do you think i should put a carbon filter in for a few hours to get rid of that, and then put some treatment in for internal bacterial disease/parasites?

Mel x


If you are going to change treatment, i would run the carbon for 24 hours, then do a 50% waterchange, then treat with the internal med...

If i was you, i would only clean the gravel once a month.
 
Ok thankyou, i'll put the treatment in tommorrow then. I was told to clean the gravel with a gravel cleaner regularly, maybe i was going abit too far with that, lol.
Thankyou for the advice everyone. :)
 
I only clean gravel once a month on all my tank that have gravel, i only clean it more if i have treated tank or feel i have overfed the tanks.
 
Sadly my lil female died, i found her just now after i got home from work. :(
I've brought some internal bacteria treament and will still use that to be on the safe side. I just wish platies were more hardy... they seem to be so fragile and perish at any given opportunity.
Thankyou all again for ya help.

Mel x
 

Most reactions

Back
Top